Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310D refurbish thread

Clubbs ยท 2014-09-29 13:16

95 model JD 310D backhoe / loader, 2wd, orops, 54xx hours showing. I picked this up at an auction earlier this month from a private owner who had roughly 15 acres. In typical auction style you really don't know what you're buying, but I found the owner who was selling out and retireing and spent some time with him and operated the machine briefly. At first glance it had some farm boy pin replacement on the H-link and bucket (steel rod almost the right size), a leaking steering cylinder, and either the lights don't work or the bulbs are bad. Seemed like a good deal for my bid so I bought it, and now to make it right I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and will keep this thread up to date in hopes that it may be useful to others just like this forum has helped me. In full discloser I buy and sell equipment on the side so I can afford to put my kids in better schools, and... because its fun... most of the time. While the machine is always for sale, I don't like to sell anything with issues so I keep working on it until its in very good used condition then actually try to sell it. I've recently re-done a bobcat 743, International 1486 tractor, gooseneck trailers, etc... So this is how I found this one: Had to load a bunch of other implements for my fellow auction goers then I drove it on the trailer and headed for home: Next step was to rebuild the steering cylinder, and the great people here on HEF helped me out as there seems to be several rebuild kits and being the JD rookie that I am I made a few mistakes while ordering part; more on that here: Then I took the sheet metal off around the motor to see what else I could find: So far the number 1 injector line is leaking and the aluminum is mangled on the end of the line so I'm waiting on a new line to come in from my local deere dealer. The muffler has a hole in it around the outlet and I've struggled trying to get that thing off to no avail. I really don't want to weld it while its still on the machine incase something rattles loose and falls into the manifold. So despite my best efforts I'm taking the manifold and muffler off as an assembly, (I have four manifold gaskets on the way from deere as well). The bracket for the fuel filter is cracked so that's got to be fixed. The tilt bucket cylinder and the right side boom cylinder are both wet at the gland so I've got seal kits for those that I need to put in. I got enough of the lights working that I'm confident the light harness is good I just need more bulbs The outrigger pin holes are "wallored" pretty good at the tractor and so are the pin holes for the cylinders. Not sure how this happened really since the rest of the pins and bushings are really pretty tight (other than the H-link and bucket pin). But I'll have to pull the riggers and cylinders off, grind the mushroomed metal down flush then weld in new tubing, bore it, and then put pins and bushings in. This repair is going to be the biggest time consumer. The bucket pins just need new bushings and the actual pins that fit in the holes. The front bucket pins and bushings are all tight, which I'm thankful for. Plan is to start at the front and work my way back, Please offer any and all advise you may have as you're experience and knowledge will be greatly appreciated. I'll keep this thread up to date with pics and progress or lack there off due to unforseen... uh... opportunities (aka broken stuff). Dave

Replies35
  1. #1born2ride2014-10-02 12:02

    With all that work will the return be worth it?

  2. #2Clubbs2014-10-02 13:02

    It usually is or I haven't lost money yet. You can't start with just any machine and you have to get it at a good price too. This machine was in use when I bought it and is in good useable condition as is. But i'm going through it and fixing all the stuff that most of us if it was our machine would probably not fix until we had some down time. But once I'm done and its forsale, any perspetive buyer that comes to look at a used machine will (hopefully) be pleasantly surprised with this one in that it doesn't have any issues, drips, clunking, etc. As compared to the other used machines for sale I hope that mine stands out especially considering I'm usually asking for the average price on machinery trader for comparably equiped and machines with similar hours, expecting that mine is in better condition than most so far mine have sold within a couple weeks and everyone has been happy with them. On this particular one I'll likely have another $1,000 in parts mostly because I'm buying JD brand parts, but I'll do all the labor my self. Although I'll probably have my buddy with the bigger welder finish the welding on the egged out rigger pins. I'm starting from the front to the back, and have nearly finished all the little stuff up there. But I pulled the exhaust manifold off last night (since I can't seam get the muffler off while its on the machine) and I think I'm better off buying a new muffler as successfully welding to this thin metal is going to be tough and look awful. Once that part comes in I'll get the sheet metal back on and start on the rigger pins and the two pins in the hoe bucket will go pretty quick. Then tape it off, spray some JD yellow on it, put in some new light bulbs and for sale. That's the rough plan anyway... I usually like to turn a machine around in 2 months or less working nights and a little during the weekend. Plus I get to play with a bunch of different machines along the way and do any small projects around the house for "free" instead of renting equipment or owning a dedicated machine. My plan isnt for everyone, but it works for me. Dave

  3. #3Clubbs2014-10-13 11:14

    Haven't done much to the backhoe lately but I had a few hours this weekend to wrench... I pulled the exhuast manifold off, replaced the number 1 injector line that was leaking at the injector, I had to reform some of the bends so that it wasn't in a bind againsts the # 2 line and so that it aligned better with the injector. I think this misalignment may have been the cause of the initial leak as it wore out the aluminum "ferrel" on the end of the old line. There are no o-rings on these injector lines. I cleaned up the old gasket off the head and the manifold cut the old muffler off and wire wheeled the pilot on the muffler side of the manifold. Put a little gasket tack on the new gaskets and bolted the manifold back on. The new muffler fit perfect and what a huge difference in the sound of the machine. It sounds much smoother now that its now puffing out all the cracks in the old muffler. Next I put the fuel filter bracket back on since it had a cracked that needed some welding. Filled the fuel filter and it cranked right up. No more leaks on the motor at all. I'll change the oil, filter, air filters and fuel filter then put the sheet metal back on next week (I'm waiting to buy all the filters at NAPA next week at 50% off). I received all four of the hydraulic cylinder seal kits that I ordered and need to put those in this week. I need to to the two pins and bushings on the bucket, and then the outrigger pins. Dave

  4. #4Clubbs2014-10-30 11:56

    I ordered all new filters from NAPA during their filter sale last week... that's a pretty good deal at 60% off. I decided to rebuild the one loader boom cylinder that was leaking and the tilt cylinder that was leaking this weekend with the help of my 7 year old. Getting the rod guide out was quick and easy, but I broke a rachet and my 3/4" breaker bar trying to get the nut off the end of the rod. I turned the pressure in my air compressor up to 120psi and tried my 3/4" impact and that didn't work either. So I gave in and took the rods with the piston and rod guide still on them to my local BOBCAT dealer along with the seal kits I ordered to have them put the seals in... The folks over at White's Bobcat where great to deal with and incredibly fast (fast = less labor cost) with my Bobcat rebuild. I'll probably end up doing the same thing with the stabilizer cylinders this weekend. I noticed the bucket cylinder is wet to so I ordered that kit this morning as well. I've gotten some comments about my excessive seal replacement strategy and I'm told the only backhoe that doesn't leak is one that is out of oil. I'm sure that after another 100 hours of heavy use something else will seep here or there, but if the cylinder is just sitting there with no load on it I don't think it should leak. Truth of the matter is that this machine is 9 years old and the seals I'm replacing are probably original. The previous owner said he had several cylinders rebuilt last year so once I finish these 5 cylidners they'll all be in good condition. Wish that Hytran wasn't so expensive... Dave

  5. #5Deeretracks2014-10-30 12:06

    Did you mean 19yrs old? They stopped making the D-series in '96. I have always managed to reseal the loader cylinders in the field w/o any special tools. They use the crap out of red plastigasket at the factory so you usually need to heat the nut up to get them to loosen w/o a cylinder bench.

  6. #6Clubbs2014-10-30 14:16

    right 19 years old. I thought about heat but I didn't want to melt the nylon lock ring out of the nut... Maybe I'll try some heat on the stabilizer cylinders this weekend. Dave

  7. #7Deeretracks2014-10-30 15:31

    Well technically nylock nuts are not reuseable anyway so you need to use loctite on reassembly anyway if you don't replace the nut.

  8. #8Clubbs2014-11-10 09:34

    I took the four rods to my friendly Bobcat dealer and he kindly spun the nuts off for me no charge. We still had quite a struggle even with his 1" impact and 180psi shop air. I put the seal kits in Saturday morning while the family attended the farmer's market. The kits I ordered didn't have the o-ring and back-up ring in them so I ordered those from my deere dealer only to find out my order wasn't complete and I was missing the o-ring and backup ring for one of the stabilizer cylinders... Those should be here Wednesday and it gives me time to press in the new bushing anyway. All the other seal kits went in easy and the cylinders are now dry. I started working on the electrical issues and got the light circuits fixed and free from chafed wires to loose grounds to corroded connections. The systems monitor showed signs of life late Sunday afternoon in that the stop light, warning light, and alarm now function. I suspect the 6 indicator lights for various sensors will also work once I replace the bulbs. I usually dread the electrical troubleshooting on machines because its so misunderstood by most of us and is hence usually rigged beyond repair by the previous owner(s), but this one is still all in tact with the exception of some spliced in fan connections, and mostly just needs terminal cleaning, light bulbs, and probably a sensor or two replaced. Deere seems to have done a nice job on this albiet simple electrical system. Hopefully I can get all the bugs worked out this week. Dave

  9. #9Clubbs2014-12-09 20:41

    Im getting closer to finished and am stuck on the fuel gauge. Wires are good from tank to sender, and there is about 60 ohm accross the sender with the tank 3/4 full. The gauge just reads empty. Anyone know what the resistance is supposed to be accross the sender?

  10. #10Delmer2014-12-09 21:36

    That's right in there. If you ground the wire and then disconnect it, it should show full and empty, or else the gauge or wiring is the problem.

  11. #11Arizona Coast2015-01-04 08:57

    Any updates?

  12. #12Clubbs2015-01-05 12:52

    Well this machine turned out to be in pretty good shape and I didn't run into anything extordinary to really post about. I rebuilt some more of the cylinders since my last post and made a couple new pins on the lathe, but haven't really been "inside" anything other than the electrical stuff, which was mostly cleaning up connections. I spent a good deal of time wire wheeling the heavily chipped paint off around the buckets and scraping old decals off. Plan is to paint it this weekend depending on temp and humidity. Its been sitting on the riggers and the front bucket without tires on it for a couple weeks now while I prep for paint. I must say that this probably the most complicated paint job I will have done... lots of stuff you don't want paint on and lots of stuff that's hidden but needs paint... Dave

  13. #13Arizona Coast2015-01-05 13:27

    Can you go into more detail on the paint regarding it being complicated? I'm looking at a hoe that might need paint and would like to know what I'm up against.

  14. #14Clubbs2015-01-05 16:01

    Its just time consuming to do it right. The prep work makes the paint job and the prep work on the other things I've painted has been less time consuming. The factory paint has proved to be pretty durable but as seen in the top post pics its missing and chipped in the usual places. Painting over chipped paint looks good from 20 feet maybe but it really needs to be taken down to bare metal to look right. There's so many places on hoes that are only accessible with the boom in certain positions so it seems that your working in one spot and then move the boom and find more work. This is also a problem while painting because the cylinder rods will obivously be taped up so moving the boom while painting isn't really an option unless you plan to stop painting, remove tape, move the boom, then re-tape. Also there seems to be an endless supply of earth tucked away underneath. I don't like to sand blast anywhere near suscetible points like pivots, bearings, and these areas are usually surrounded in tightly cast parts that are hard to get at with a wire wheel. So short of taking the whole thing apart you may as well just accept the fact that despite your efforts it will never look new again... a realization I'm not used to accepting. If your painting to preserve the machine and prevent rust then there's really not too much to it: tape up the rods and hoses, blast it with a pressure washer for several hours, hoses it off with degreaser, then presure wash some more then repeat 4 or 5 times, and squirt it yellow. Obviously once pressure washed there isn't any grease anywhere so using the machine is out of the question until its re-greased. Also obvious but sometimes overlooked don't pressure what towards a grease point because you'll be washing grit into the joint. Dave

  15. #15Deon2015-01-05 21:11

    Yes Chubbs and Arizona Coast, Painting a hoe it quite an experience. I was an auto body man for 13 years and my 310D was the longest paint job of my life. I did it for myself but don't ask me to do another. I covered the rods with rubber discharge hose (2" water pump type) and sand blasted all the rust and sanded and feathered all the remaining paint. And yes all the dirt and grease cleaning after a complete pressure wash. But after about $1,200 worth of epoxy primer, polyurethane paint and new decals, it does look like new, actually probably better with a the shinnier paint. The cab I had replaced all of the bad metal and repainted the year before.

  16. #16Deon2015-01-05 21:50

    One more photo and one more comment. Don't paint the wheel hub and wheel surface where they fit together. Just brush on some anti-seez to prevent rust when bolting together. Paint will cause the wheels to loosen. The tractor is under the tarp in this photo.

  17. #17Arizona Coast2015-01-05 23:07

    Holy crap that turned out great!

  18. #18Clubbs2015-01-06 18:51

    Deon I've read through most of your post pretaining to your 310d, and must say you have done an excellent job throughout the restoration. Sadly for my machine I've decided it will never look new again... I'd be afraid to use it if it looked as nice as yours. Oh and you missed a spot on the bucket Dave

  19. #19Deon2015-01-06 19:57

    Thanks for the nice comments guys. Clubbs, I ran out of paint. ops

  20. #20DB22015-01-06 20:55

    Nice looking work. When painting we smear the cylinder rods with grease. The last one we had done locally had a seal begin leaking almost immediately after the paint job and upon disassembly we found tape past the wiper seal and into the oring. Grease also makes it easier to reposition things while painting.

  21. #21Deon2015-01-06 21:07

    DB2, I was really carfull with tape on the rods. I have never heard about that before but could imagine how it can happen. Good point.

  22. #22DB22015-01-06 21:29

    Biggest difference is when your doing it for yourself you tend to be a little more careful. If using grease be careful for the inevitable blobs that occur when retracting cylinders, they can seriously marr a freshly painted surface.

  23. #23Dirtdauber2015-01-06 22:58

    Outstanding job with this tractor, and the care put into the paintwork exceeds anything I've ever seen on any equipment.

  24. #24Clubbs2015-01-23 10:12

    I had a string of warm days so I painted mine... it took forever. I've still got to paint the wheels and do some black paint work around the cab. I ordered decals from the associated graphix and they look great, shipped fast, and a great price. I was going to post pics of my freshly yellow'd machine but Deon's paint job makes mine look like my 4 year old did it with a crayon. Just kidding. I'll post up once I get the wheels and decals on. Dave

  25. #25Deon2015-01-23 18:39

    That's quite funny Clubbs but I'm sure it looks great. Will be looking for those photos. :beerchug

  26. #26hookedondiesel2015-01-24 06:21

    I was a little confused at first, looking at clubbs tractor and then seeing Deon's machine painted, with a cab.:eek2 Nice job Deon, I look forward to seeing yours also, clubbs.

  27. #27Clubbs2015-02-02 17:19

    Here's mine proudly displayed in the front yard... Still have some detail work to do, but its almost done. Dave

  28. #28Dirtdauber2015-02-02 18:05

    Wow! Looks like a newun.

  29. #29hookedondiesel2015-02-02 19:18

    She look's perrrrty.:thumbsup

  30. #30Deon2015-02-03 18:14

    Look at that. You didn't even miss a spot. L'll bet you don't want to sell it now.

  31. #31Clubbs2015-02-04 17:20

    There is certainly the pride of ownership aspect that I usually run into about this time during a rebuild. I get the notion that I ought to keep it and use it to earn some extra income on the side or just because I can't think of one good reason why I don't need a 7 ton machine in my driveway. But then reality sets in and full discloser I own 1/2 acre of dirt in a neighborhood with a home owners association. I'm fortunate that the HOA lets me do what I do already. And the real reason I'm in to this stuff is to put my kids in better schools. Selling this machine should pay for a years worth of tuition. So in the end I get to work on all sorts of stuff, use it, play with it, admire my handywork, meet all sorts of neat knowledgable people looking to buy machines and in the end my "customers" have all been very happy. Plus my 8 year old is getting to be a really good operator.

  32. #32Clubbs2015-02-16 14:09

    Well I took my 310 to an auction this past saturday, but the auction isn't until feb 21st. On the way to drop it off I helped a friend "retrieve" his first backhoe. Its an old International that was burried back in the woods. Needless to say we had some fun getting it back to his house, and I was very happy and impressed with the power of my 310. It was 18 degrees that morning and towing it on my gooseneck 35 miles down the highway had it nice and cool, and I had a little trouble starting it for the first time. I went through three 20 second start cylces before it started to cough to life, and then maybe 5 or 6 more short burst with the starter to get it to light and run. This can't be good for it, what is the best way to start when cold? I've never used either on any of my machines but seen it used all the time; is that the best solution other than installing block heaters or glow plugs? I've had some older machines with no heaters or glow plugs that would start right up on similarly cold mornings... Dave

  33. #33Clubbs2015-02-19 13:59

    The auctioneer called me yesterday and said they couldn't get it started to move it. Its been colder than normal here; down in the teens and not getting much above freezing during the day. So I grabbed a truck load of tools and headed an hour away to the auction site. The new fuel filter I put on was frozen solid. Apparently the fuel I just bought the week before and ran about 4 hours on had about a cup of water in it. All of which was in the filter. I took the filter off heated it with a torch far away from the machine and thawed it out, or so I thought. But I couldn't get the element to pass fuel so I had to replace the filter, then she lit right off. I pulled the plug on the bottom of the tank and didn't see any water there so I filled the replacement filter up with fuel from there, but what an aggravation. I guess I should have drained the filter after using it , but the thing only had 5 hours at the most of run time on that filter... must have been some really bad fuel. Anyway it gave me some time with the auctioneer to talk about the machine, which is good. Hope it sells on Saturday. I'll post up if it does. Dave

  34. #34High Speed Dirt2015-02-19 20:48

    Watch those auctioneers. They hire people that love to overshoot ether and many say that is a bad thing for an engine. I personally would care whether it sold or not but I'm a nice guy. Nice job on both paint jobs.

  35. #35Clubbs2015-03-07 19:45

    I couldn't be at the auction and was told it wouldn't start... Seemed strange to me but sure enough I go to pick it up and it won't spin over fast enough to start. I tried jumping it but no difference. So I take the lid off the battery box and the positive wire from the second battery is loose, tighten that up and it starts right up. That loose connection cost me the sale... So since I still have it I did haul it over to a friend's house and dug out a stump, then his neighbor asked if I could dig him a fish pond. So I added another 3 hours on the hour meter but had a good afternoon of digging in the dirt and helping out friends. I did scratch some of the paint on the bucket though. Dave