What is best way to install the master pin in the chain. I have already tried freezing the pin and still cannot pound it in. Should I heat the chain hole first, if so, how much and what else needs done to do this. Also, should I grease the inside first and what about the four washers...
Did you freeze with dry ice? That worked for us real well. Heating seemed to be more of a pain - easy to deform a link if you hit in the wrong place or maybe that's just me being clumsy.
If you freeze it long enough , at least overnight, it should fit. Might want to try heating the link on the track first then stick the frozen pin in , should slide right in.
is it true that a fire ext works for that? I'm thinking of buying a torch outfit, but never owned one before.. of course thats a whole nother area I'm sure...
Also, if I use dry ice.. what is the best detailed method to use..
Have you made sure you have a master pin and not a regular pin? Most non Cat track master pins can be driven with a big hammer. I only used a twenty pounder. Anything smaller didn't seem to put enough force to move the pin and just mushroomed the end. I usually take the old pin and grind down the ends so it slips through. I make up the track and then rotate it so it is under a bottom roller. The flanges on the bottom roller help keep the track from just sliding sideways when you hit it. I start the master and then use an old bucket pin between the hammer and the master. Then if you miss you don't break the roller cap or someone else. You can usually get the master through the first side with a little work. The second side can be a real issue. Once it has started in the back side you are now going into two press fits and need twice the force. If the twenty won't move it I usually then bring in the heat. If you heat you will need a rose budd torch as it has to happen very fast and you really only get one chance. It takes one person on the far end of the link and you on the hammer end. If it doesn't move now all is still not lost. Call in someone with a track press and they should be able to push it home in less than an hour. You will have to pull the pad for them. Good Luck!
I found dry ice and will try that method first before any heating... thanks for the advice and will use some of the methods you mentioned. It is a master pin that came with the chain from the supplier.
Thanks John C. that method worked and I finally got the the chains on and pins in...Didn't have to use ice or heat... I'm putting the feet on now and can't wait to get the old doze on the road again...
:notworthy Nice info John C, I've never had the pleasure of fitting new or repaired split tracks, but that info is perfect should the need arise. I would never have thought of trapping the chain with a bottom roller :cool2 :drinkup