Greetings all, So I am looking at a Case 450 crawler with 6 way blade to use as a finishing machine. Here are the model and serial: Model: D 450 Serial: 3051718 It looks to have a relatively new undercarriage but the rest of it is a bit beaten up. Trying to determine a fare price to offer for it.
I'll sell you my 450C with a worn out undercarriage and you could make a good machine out of the two.
Yes... but could I afford to haul it all the way back to my place?
It's a tiny little dozer, just hire one of the guys from the Overload of the Day thread with a 1/2 ton pickup and landscape trailer. Shouldn't cost much!
The owner wants $15k for his 450. Seems high to me. I mean... I just purchased an A/C HD16 for $7,000 and it is working great. That's like 8 times the size isn't it? lol. I can use it eventually but don't need it right away. Had a mishap with another piece of equipment yesterday that I have to address so will hold on to money resources for the moment.
It's just beginning my friend
Oh it began some time ago! It's the nature of the beast.
$15K is way high for that, by about double IMO. You should be able to pick up a mid-late '80s Case or JD for that price or a little more and have a lot more modern, easier to use machine. FWIW, on the Case 450C anything after GBE serial number prefix (about '86-87) will have wet brakes, modulation on the transmission and a few other improvements that make them a lot nicer to run and more reliable. 450C models will also all have the 3.9L Cummins which is a big upgrade from the old 188 or 207 Case motors. Same for the JD 450, starting with the G series they were a much upgraded more modern machine. Might find an older D3C Cat or something in that price range if you look hard enough. Regardless of the brand I'd also look for an LGP model if you plan to mostly use it for finish work and grading. Not only for the lower ground pressure, but most also had a longer track frame for a smoother more stable ride/finish and the ~9' wide blade covers a lot more ground.
I thought it was much to high as well. I bought an old IH E200 from the same party but passed on the Case 450. Thank you for the additional information. I will look out for a newer unit.
What's the address where it is? It might be up on blocks with no undercarriage next time you go by
First thing I noticed about it was there was slack in the tracks. I asked about it given the undercarriage is supposed to be relatively new.... seems the mechanic put the adjuster seals in backwards and had not reversed them yet.