Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 dozer thoughts

happygolucky ยท 2018-08-25 09:49

what are your thoughts on a 450 case dozer. reliable, parts hard to find, parts expensive, do they have steering clutches, diesel or gas better, just tell me your thoughts. thanks norm

Replies7
  1. #1redneckracin2018-08-25 10:59

    Any particular vintage? A 450 isn't much of a dozer unless you want to clear fence rows or finish grade. I have a 550 deere and I would not want anything smaller for digging.

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2018-08-25 20:19

    the Case 450 is a good light dozer, it has a power shift transmission with 8 speeds, 4 lo and 4 hi, so no steering clutches. I like the diesel engine better for torque and longevity. The 450B is a better choice because it has a bigger engine, a 207 as opposed to the 188 in the older ones. But there are some older ones that had the 207 engine before the B series. The 450C has a better engine still with the 4390 engine which some called a cummins engine, but we won't go into that now. It really boils down to what you can afford and what's available in your area. Parts can still be bought readily some are expensive just depends on where you get them. Cylinder kits are available online through ebay or other part stores. You can look up your own parts at www.partsore.casece.com you can find your part number there and look it up through bing and go to whichever site you want.

  3. #3Bumpsteer2018-08-25 22:46

    Very popular machine around here, excellent for residential finish grade work. Ed

  4. #4motoOzarks2018-09-02 21:28

    howdy neighbor

  5. #5jasonmo450b2018-09-02 22:47

    Working on a oil leak on my CASE 450B looks like timing cover. Stuggling to get the retainer nut loose on the front crankshaft pulley..... good little machine but I only use it for personal use and have put about 300 hours on it over last 5 or 6 years.

  6. #6mike_belben2018-09-09 14:03

    I have a 450A crawler loader backhoe. I think it has 4 speeds ? Theres a high and low range stick down by my ankle and high and low on each stick in my lap with reverser to their left. Coy, are you saying 4 forward and 4 reverse or am i missing another range stick?

  7. #7born2ride2018-09-09 21:48

    Last year I bought a 72 case 450 dozer for 3000k needs under carriage, but has a reman motor in it. i have close to 1500 hours on it , has no operation braking system which makes doing my fence line hard ,but most guys say brakes were useless anyway. Bad news for me it had a floating oil pick up tube that fell off and i did not know, went on a hill and lost oil psi wiped #4 rod bearing, Dozer seems very light and short i find it harder to grade then some of the bigger ones i have used,, I am by no means an operator!! I just use it on my small farm for motocross track , building rifle range and goofing off a great stress release , when it does not break down. LOL