Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 dozer with diesel fuel in crankcase

304thomas55 ยท 2015-10-17 20:57

Back in June I filled fuel tank up in anticipation of not using dozer until next spring. Checked oil level yesterday and found crankcase with diesel fuel in it. I'm thinking that there's an injector stuck open and fuel siphoned from tank since fuel level was higher than injectors. What's everyone's opinion ?

Replies14
  1. #1workshoprat922015-10-17 21:20

    I am not real familiar with the case 450 but I do believe it has a roosa master style pump on it dose it not? I dont see how a stuck injector could do such a thing. and besides it wouldnt be a sipon if the tank is higher than the pump. I think I would suspect the pump seal first. If pump is in fuel shut off position it would have to leak past the shut off valve in pump and then past injector plunger to be able to leak out bad injector tip. Thats alot to go wrong all at once. but I could be wrong on the pump. Also does it have a engine driven supply pump?

  2. #2304thomas552015-10-17 23:10

    Yes it has a roosa pump, but I don't believe there's a charge pump except on hydraulic system. I was speculating to draw some answers. I hope it's not pump, but my luck with expensive parts isn't good. I've had issues in past with the ball check on top of pump having debris in it. Is this the seal issue you're speaking of?

  3. #3wilko2015-10-18 00:25

    If it's not leaking a lot, I'd try to install a shut off valve at the tank or fuel filter.

  4. #4doublewide2015-10-18 06:31

    304thomas55 , like how much fuel, crankcase full, running out of the dipstick hole full?, or just a little? Never been into a Case but my JD 410B has a double v seal on the injector pump shaft. One v to keep the engine oil out of the fuel and the other v to keep the fuel out of the engine oil. If this seal fails, the contents of the tank can drain straight into the crankcase.

  5. #5workshoprat922015-10-18 07:16

    Thats what I was thinking to. It would have to be the pump input shaft seal where it bolts to the engine. I find it highly unlikely it could leak past all the internal pump parts and leak through injector. if its a gravity feed system it should already have fuel shut off otherwise how would one change fuel filters without making huge mess?

  6. #6304thomas552015-10-18 09:40

    When I shut dozer down I don't leave the pump shutoff valve closed, so I guess that's what I should've been doing. I will call local Case dealer to see what a new pump will cost. Like I was saying last year kept getting some debris in ball check "T" on top of pump. I thought it was something in fuel but I'm thinking now it was something in the pump. Changed both filters and it didn't stop. Thanks for the info.

  7. #7lantraxco2015-10-18 14:08

    That debris in the ball check is usually part of a fiber drive ring inside the pump, they eventually start to come apart and will eventually fail completely. Best to get it rebuilt or get a reman exchange from the dealer.

  8. #8304thomas552015-10-18 19:34

    Has anyone out there replaced one of these injector pumps? I'm a pretty fair mechanic, but I'd liked to know head of time if I'm getting in over my head Thanks

  9. #9lantraxco2015-10-19 00:26

    Not familiar with the CASE 450, but I think I would time it before I took it off. If it's the 188 diesel it looks like there's a gear cover you remove, pop the drive gear off the pump shaft then remove the pump from the back of the front cover.

  10. #10304thomas552015-10-19 06:45

    Thanks for the info. I'll find a repair manual and go from there.

  11. #11sheepfoot2015-10-19 21:29

    If your machine is running good, check the pump housing where it mates to the front cover. Look for a lineup mark either scribed or stamped with a chisel, if no mark make a new witness mark to line it up on install. Turn the fuel off at the tank, remove the two screws and plate from the side of the pump, Both the 188 and 207 are timed to 8* BTDC. You can use the pointer to place it at the timing mark, or slip the valve cover off and while turning the engine, watch for the #1 cylinder valves to be on the rock, the line up lines in the pump window should be close, keep turning until they line up. Remove the filter housing linkages. Tie the throttle lever back. I send the fuel lines to the injectors with the pump. I remove the manifold and muffler. Remove the three nuts and washers holding the pump on. Slide the pump off the shaft. Always look at the end of the shaft for the dot. Look inside the pump tube and you will see the other dot in the slot. You have to be dot to dot when you put it back. You will see the two butterfly seals on the shaft that hold fuel and oil. Have the pump serviced with the new style metal disc. Reinstalling is all about the butterfly seals and not cutting or rolling them while slipping the pump tube over them.

  12. #12304thomas552015-10-20 07:09

    Thanks sheepfoot. Would it be better to remove front cover and take gear off and take shaft along with pump to get it rebuilt then reassemble ? At least I wouldn't have to worry about the butterfly seals.

  13. #13sheepfoot2015-10-22 23:11

    I would just side it off the shaft and send the pump in. I have the tool to expand the seals before installing them in their groove, along with a tool to help start the seals into the tube. The seals can be worked on the shaft without the tool, just take your time, and protect them for any sharp edges. Even with the correct tools I have seen the seals get cut while sliding and expanding them do to your finger nails cutting them. The tool expands the center hole in the seal, tool slides over the shaft, and allows the seal to be slid right off and contracting right in the grove in the shaft. Its not a bad job either way just keep a check on your oil, if it starts making oil you may have nicked or rolled a seal and you will have to slip it off and install another set of seals. Always leave the throttle shaft tied back until it's bolted up, it should come back from the pump shop that way.

  14. #14304thomas552015-10-23 06:39

    Thanks Sheepfoot. Any help I can get is appreciated.