Hi, I'm hopeful some one can help me. I have a case 450 b track loader, it ran fine last time it ran. Have been told the shutoff is probably stuck, I have fuel to the pump, but none on the high pressure side. I was looking for a diagram of the injection pump so I can have an idea of where the piston is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Piston?? not sure what you're looking for..... fuel shut off is mechanical on a 450B - lever between the injector pump & engine block - should be all way toward front of machine to run
Thanks for the diagram, but I need one of the internals. I have been told by my friend that the pumps on these machines are infamous for the shutoff getting stuck and no fuel will get to the high pressure side. He told me that I can take the top cover off and "tickle it" in the right spot and free up the shutoff. I'm a little scared to go in and start pushing and pulling on stuff, the book says the pump is like a "fine watch" inside. Any info on this would be helpful.
problem with lifting the cover is that if the gasket rips it'll leak like a seive
very strange.......why do I only get a link & not a picture?
Here ya go Richardjw~ One was too big.
Good pics Richard! Unfortunately thet are pics of a CAV pump & dopreston has a Roosamaster on the 450B. Not sure which parts you would like to 'tickle' - take your pick........
Need help posting pics Richardjw? Check out this thread:
Thanks Atco
Apart from the name what is the difference between the two, from the pic they "look" similar. I've only ever had the top box part off the Lucas, it was leaking on brother's tractor so got a new gasket thinking I could do it myself in-situ, well getting the spring hooked back on proved to be an issue for me, then after I succeeded it leaked even worse than it did before
The CAV pump has the throttle & stop control levers attatched to the top cover. The Roosamaster has them at the main body - big difference I've been repairing machinery for more than 30yrs. The repairs I carry carry out on injector pumps are pretty basic - ie resealing top covers, I can do these repairs only because someone who new exactly what they were doing showed me how to do what was required. Had I not been shown, I wouldn't be touching them as I consider them a specialist repair area. I prefer those who know what they are doing to do the repairs. Some here at HEF may diasagree, I realise some people have a very limited amount of money that they can spend on their machines, so that's why forums like this exist - so that people can get info they need & then attempt a repair. Some people may be capable of such a repair & others not. It's hard to tell a person's ability from a few sentences they have written on a computer screen. An injector pump is a precise & delicate piece of machinery, it requires precise knowlege & equipment to repair - if one is not delivering fuel, maybe it has got something just stuck in it or maybe it needs an overhaul - but if you're not sure how it works - & then opening one up, in the hope you may see the problem - to me is just asking for trouble...... I know I won't do it, but that's just my opinion. I'll admit I don't know what to "tickle" on a Roosamaster pump if they are not delivering fuel - maybe someone here can ? I don't want to dampen anyone's adventurous spirit. Just sharing 30+ yrs wrenching experience - my advise, as I have stated before, particularly with regard to fuel injection - If you're not sure what you're doing, pay someone who does. :drinkup
Yep, you're right Airman it is indeed through the side. Don't think they've made it to U.k. I've also been in the repair game for 20 odd years and up until I worked on "Service" in overseas developing market projects I was always nervous of touching pumps, however being out in the sticks with very little to lose soon changed that and seeing how the local guys who didn't have the temperature controlled pump shop environments got the things repaired and in the field changed my opinion .....so the point of all this rambling I make to DoPreston is if you look at it from another way what have you got to lose other than a couple hundred $$$?......even if you don't crack it you'll have the benefit of at least knowing you tried............all ya need is an exploded pic of the details.....now if you Google Roosamaster pumps then click on the image there are a surprising amount of pictures that might well help
thanks Boone
Simple fix.. Shut-off fuel..loosen the side cover screws to allow fuel to drain..remove the 3 top cover screws and remove top cover.. Work the shut-off lever back and forth by hand..see where the "clip" is hitting the metering valve arm?? it should move back and forth, FREELY.. Just give it "a tickel" and see what happens.. REMEMBER.. DIRT IS YOUR BEST FRIEND TILL IT GETS IN YOUR PUMP.. TPG