Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 one track stops pulling

DeerStewart · 2025-11-02 02:00

One track on my 1972 Case 450 dozer stops pulling when trans temp gets to about 170 degrees And the low pressure pressure drops below 40 psi torque converter high pressure stays up (was recently rebuilt). I have cleaned charge pump suction screen and replaced high pressure filter didn’t help any. I am using premium hydraulic fluid J20C equivalent it just started this problem over the last couple of weeks and seems to be getting worse. I can shut it down let cool for couple of hours and goes back working good until temp gets back up takes about 1 hour. I don’t know if it’s charge pump wore out, spool valves on track control levers worn and leaking but back into trans housing or internal clutch packs leaking. I hope someone has had experience with this and can help, thanks for any assistance.

Replies4
  1. #1DeerStewart2025-11-02 14:09

    Update it has now gotten to where the right track want pull at all even cold with 60-70 psi on pump gauge. That clutch pack doesn’t try to pull in. Left track pulling good.

  2. #2Vetech632025-11-02 15:56

    My guess would be the steering clutch plates failing on the faulty side

  3. #3DeerStewart2025-11-03 08:55

    Thanks, I am afraid you are probably wright I sure was hopefully there would be an external solution.

  4. #4DeerStewart2025-11-03 20:50

    As soon as I can I am going to make sure the brake spool valve for that track is not stuck in the brake position.