Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 Recoil Spring

wb8reh ยท 2016-10-07 07:34

Hello Again I am working my 1970 Case 450 #3045078 crawler under carriage. I was told an need a spring compressor to install a new recoil spring. Reading the manual it mentions that with my version I can just remove the mounting plate and then remove the adjusting plate nut. I can then install the new spring by tightening the plate to a 16 inch spring length. Has anyone done this and is it safe or tricky to do. Both my springs are broke at the last back coil and they still work some at this point. It all looks to be a nice rusted mess to deal with. Thanks again

Replies2
  1. #1Hobbytime2016-10-07 07:41

    you need to be VERY CAREFUL....DO NOT TAKE APART UNLESS THE COMPRESSED SPRING IS IN A PRESS!!!!! if the spring pack is still intact you can remove it as a unit from the machine, or you can risk serious injury...I just did this repair on my john deere 355d track loader...if the old spring has sprung or broke and not under tension any more you can safley remove it..but when putting a new spring pack together( thats compressing the spring in a press with the end caps and bolt through it and then tightening the nuts on the end) that is the dangerous part..very doable but be careful. I used a 20 ton press and had to compress the spring a few inches to get both nuts on and to the 16 inch length..I dont know what the part # for your machine is but the whole unit new for mine is part # PV601 and range in price from just under $400.00 each side...I just fixed the rear cap that was broken and re assembled, all other parts and spring were in good order..

  2. #2wb8reh2016-10-07 09:35

    Thanks for the info