Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 450c

mountaindirt ยท 2010-01-15 02:06

i was thinking about looking at A 1986 case 450c long track with 4200 hrs and i was wondering if anyone has any experience with these machines, how they liked them and if they knew of any problems that these machines, any input would be great

Replies20
  1. #1trlbrakes2010-01-15 02:18

    i can't help you with that, can you or anyone help me with ID-ing a fiatallis wheel loader number on the tag are 78 00348..I would like to know what the model is and what type of transmission fluid to put in it...thanks in advance for your help

  2. #2Cat E70b2010-01-15 14:46

    I own a 78 case 450 and i really like it i used to run it for my boss and when he decided he didn't need it anymore i got it from him. I have found it to be a reliable machine i just use it around my own property

  3. #3JimInOz2010-01-15 15:39

    That's a nice 450 you have ,E70b. Only bad thing I ever heard about the 450 was brakes issues,but I don't know much more than that.Maybe lack of maintenence or lack of usage....? Jim

  4. #4trlbrakes2010-01-16 05:26

    can anyone tell me what type of transmission fluid to use on a flatlis wheel loader ..i don't know the year ot model just a vin number 78y-00348

  5. #5trlbrakes2010-01-16 05:31

    Hi again,, if anyone has any info. on a flatallis loader vin # 78y-00348 it would help me a lot i have no manuals thanks

  6. #6plantman.uk2010-01-16 15:03

    looks like it takes batteries ....just joking

  7. #7mountaindirt2010-01-16 18:38

    thanks for the replies sounds like no one has anything bad to say, just it is a small dozer, and trlbrakes you can use the search function to look for what you want and if you cant find it you might have better luck posting in the wheel loader section

  8. #8trlbrakes2010-01-17 01:53

    thanks mountaindirt

  9. #9thebaz2010-01-25 08:40

    I have a 455C, the loader version of the 450C. It has nearly 10,000 hrs on it now. The motors are pretty well bullet proof as are the transmissions. The brakes are much better than the 450a's but can still be stubborn if they are worn in the ball tracks on the discs. They are not super powerful, but by no means underpowered. Really well balanced and good viability. At 4500hrs there should be heaps of life left in it if it has been looked after. Only problems I have had is the belt tensioner can give trouble, and the valve clearances need to be checked regularly. I purchased mine new and will probably never sell it. Baz

  10. #10John White2010-01-25 09:14

    Any one know what year and series was the last 450 they made?

  11. #11Tinkerer2010-01-25 09:47

    John, I put quite few hours on Case 450 that had an angle blade. The one I ran had lever steering with high and low range depending on the position of the levers. It was kind of frustrating to get used to. Adjusting the detents that hold the steering levers in position will make a lot of difference in making it comfortable to steer. I have put a lot hours on different brands of angle blade finish dozers of that size. That includes Cat, John Deere, Komatsu, New Holland and Case. My preferred choice out of all of them is the John Deere 450. If you can, try out a couple of different machines and judge for yourself what you like best. Unless you have already purchased the Case.

  12. #12thebaz2010-01-26 03:11

    I am pretty sure the last 450/455c was made in 1992. All case 450s had two speed powershift steering on each track, and is really handy and easy to use when you get used to it, especially for pushing around corners etc. All 450s also had clutch and brake steering as well, the very last 450s had oil submerged brakes which was a welcome improvement, as well as modulated transmissions for the ability to shift under full throttle. Mine is a 455c loader, and while there is no comparison to a 943 type machine I think the Case is easily the best in it's class. Baz

  13. #13thebaz2010-01-26 04:23
  14. #14mountaindirt2010-01-27 23:00

    thanks for the input guys i decided that i needed to to look for a little bit bigger dozer, i am mainly going to be doing road building and cleanup and some pond building, the price seemed really good on the 450 tho.

  15. #15JimInOz2010-01-28 06:30

    G'day to TheBaz, Nice looking 455 there.I always wanted to see one doing house sites,etc. Only seen a few in Melbourne..mainly doing drainage work. Which State are you in? Hope you're keeping busy. Jim

  16. #16thebaz2010-01-29 07:20

    Hey JimInOz, I am in Melbourne Vic. I have been doing mainly house cuts for the past 10 years but have been doing commercial work with my 20tonner for the past year fortunately as my domestic builders have been very quiet. The 455C is a great machine for cut and fill house sites and small enough to transport in a tipper.

  17. #17JimInOz2010-01-30 18:29

    Hi TheBaz, I'll have to come & watch your Drott at work.I imagine there aren't a lot of Drotts left in Melb these days,even though they are very handy on any jobsite.I used to operate 955s,etc until I moved to Central Vic several years ago.These days I repair & sell small Dozers/Drotts ,as well as sell a few parts. Hope you can stay busy. Jim

  18. #18thebaz2010-01-31 06:58

    Yeah, when I started, there were small drotts everywhere. Excavators were around but for general excavation work the 955 was king. These days there are very few people who specifically ask for a small drott. Most manufacturers are making out that their rubber tracked bobcats are the new Drotts, but they have neither the weight or the hydraulic power to be in the same league. For most jobs it is a much easier day spent behind the controls of the excavator than the 455, but you can't beat the finish you get with the Case when you can blade the final cut. The case would have been lucky to have done 250hrs last year, but it is more value to keep it than sell it. Baz

  19. #19NewDozer2015-08-02 10:52

    Hello, I just bought a Case 455C Works great but after I shut it off and go back to the machine I and am having trouble with no Transmission pressure and it won't move. Then all of a sudden the pressure will come back and it's ready to work again.. Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?

  20. #20Dickjr.2015-08-02 14:29

    NewDozer , I would suggest starting a new thread on this. We have a couple of CASE guys that are awesome with troubleshooting.