Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450C high low won’t shift out of neutral

David H ยท 2019-04-24 18:50

So I just replaced the Injector pump and when I went to drive it the high low shifter appears that it is in neutral and won't go either way. Is there any trick to getting the gears lined up?

Replies6
  1. #1alrman2019-04-24 19:08

    Welcome to HEF @David H No real tricks to do this...... as long as the engine is NOT running.....

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2019-04-24 20:35

    If the lever won't move then check linkage but if the gears grind when you try to shift then like alrman said shut engine off.

  3. #3David H2019-04-24 20:54

    No gear grinding no howling. If I try to shift either way it just bogs the engine if it is running, and I can't find a place where it wants to engage if I manually rotate the drive shaft.

  4. #4alrman2019-04-24 21:56

    Engine off & a firm shunt of the selector lever is all that is usually required. Don't be shy about it.

  5. #5David H2019-04-24 23:27

    Took the linkage off and checked it. It was nice and free. I bent the lever trying to push it in to gear with it off. Thinking I may have to tear it apart.

  6. #6alrman2019-04-25 19:19

    It's not that easy to get inside the two speed housing on a 450C - brake housings & backing plates have to be removed to pull the 2 speed housing...... Not a good job! There is a detent ball & spring for the selector, located under the housing. Take a look at that, may be it's jamming the selector rail?