Hello everyone, I am new here. I have a case 450c long track dozer. I am trying to find replacement parts to replace the control lever and components on the two spool control valves. The lever and valves are fine but all of the linkages are terribly worn and it is getting nearly impossible to control the 6 way blade. Anyone have any ideas or maybe part numbers? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to HEF @wrangler2231 Many of the parts are likely no longer available through CNH & all those little trinkets can add up in dollars. I have had to fabricate bronze bushings & the linkages, also welded up linkages & redrilled the holes. The pivot shafts can easily be made from bright steel. The swivel ball joints/rod ends are available through bearing suppliers as are some bronze bushings.
@alrman , thanks for the reply! I was afraid that I was going to have to fabricate them. I wish I would have joined HEF earlier as I have been searching the web trying to find a lead for a week or so. Again thanks for the help!
Welcome to HEF, wrangler ! I like your truck !
@Tinkerer thanks I am glad I joined! Thanks I love the old truck, it was just a flat bed and I bought another flatbed dump that had a bad engine and fabricated the frame rails to make this one a dump. It was a lot of work but man was it worth it!
Good info, I'm having the same issues with the linkages and bushings. Can you please tell me how much trouble it is to remove the "spools", I believe they're called, to rebuild the ends with bushings? I haven't attempted this project yet. Thanks for your help.
@lunky55 I removed the joy stick from the dozer and removed the rods, I called them the C-linkages.... I was able to have them made at a local machine shop and this helped with the play in the controller. I didn’t have to replace the bushings at this time but will probably need to in the future. The original problem that I had is I would pull the controller back (south) but the blade would drop to the left (west) is this what you are seeing?
Thanks for the reply. My raise and lower work ok, but with a lot of slop. To tilt, I nearly have to use both hands due to slop and binding. Someone had cobble welded some pieces on the ends of two of the spools for bushings, but one is almost worn through. I'm hoping to get a reply from "airman", as it sounds like he has rebuilt the top of the spools. I'm rebuilding this whole mechanism, among other things, for the friend that is letting me use the dozer. Thanks
@lunky55 it sounds like your controls might not be as worn as mine are/was. Do you mind posting a few pictures of how you end up fixing yours?
@lunky55 Welcome to HEF I wouldn't recommend doing anything to the eye of a worn spool - you don't want to risk any distortion by the heat of welding & clamping them in a vise & trying to drill a perfect circle just doesn't seem like a good thing to do...... Instead, I would make a custom fit linkage to the shape of the worn spool eye. I have used a very hard bronze to add some size to a worn linkage & carefully ground it to the shape of worn spool end. You could use a MIG or TIG also - the bronze has a lubricating quality & it's easy to do in the field using oxy.
Thanks for responding. I'll have to look at things again and see if what you're suggesting will work. Someone had welded some crap on the end of one spool in the past. It's a mess. Do you think a hydraulic shop would be able to find replacement spools for that valve? Thanks
I'll try to remember to do that whenever I get to fixing them, and figure what will work best.