Looking to upgrade our push cat. Currently pushing 621s with a D7f. Would like to get our loads times down. Anyone use 7h or 7r or should we look for 8k,n,r?
621s you would be better off with a 8
I liked the 8N I ran. First time it was brand new in '91, and I was new in the union too. 10 years and a whole lot of hours later, that contractor rented it out to the one I was working for and it was like old times. It was tired and a lot looser after 10,000 hours, but still got the job done.
Oh I agree I’d be better off with an 8. But those 7rs catch my eye anyone use them?
Personally speaking,you need 40t and 300hp when pushing 621’s in anything but light topsoil stripping. A good D8K or D8R would be my choice
i've only been around one outfit that did not push with 8's or 9's. They used 7's and just as nicky said, it was mostly stripping.
I don't want to disagree with anyone, but we had a Allis 260 (20 yd) that was converted to a dolly pan, pulled by a Challenger 75C, push loaded with a 7H in 2nd gear. I don't know if we were getting as many loads per day as the pros, but we were perfectly satisfied with 2500 yds on a 1000' haul. That 7H had no problem whatsoever stuffing that pan so it had a hard time coming out. Actually had to rebuild the ejector tube because of it.
I push my 621s with a 6R and 6H through shale, clay, or sandstone. Minute load times or less. I see the OP is in Oklahoma. I parked my push cats last year while working in eastern Oklahoma because the scrapers could self load the clay in a minute.
We have pushed Cat 621Bs with Cat D6Ts or Deere 850Ks against D8K. 45 seconds with the first 35 second loads with the later. I’ve pushed with D7Gs but don’t have any data to share.
My personal opinion is the pan operator is the biggest determining factor in loading time . I’ve pushed with 6’s and good operators no problems ,and with 9’s with not so good operators and it was a disaster
^^^^THIS x1000000
Well boys purchased a 8r today. Decided if I was going to be a bear might as well be a grizzly. Thanks for all your input.
i'll tell on myself. I had a crawler loader and did some construction work, ran various other dozers after I had done a season of logging firewood. The hall was empty and I went in there, signed up, and got a dispatch to run a dozer. I show up and the guy running the work says I don't have a dozer for you, but i need you to run a scraper, ( pointing at a 631) I straight up told him I had never even STOOD next to a scraper. His reply? That's OK, this apprentice has never pushed one either. She was on a D6H and it was an unmitigated disaster. Luckily there was a scraper hand there to help me out and have mercy and show me the easy ride lever. Later they put my in a brand new D8N, that first year with the lower ROPS and the range selector was a lever instead of the little knob on the next year. Dozer heaven for a young guy who had only been on 350 johnny, td18, international 175, D6C, insley 1500. I was pushing a couple of 631's and cleaning up, building a lot for the dirt contractor themselves. Yesterday I took a load of asphalt demo to the pit just uphill from that lot, and i could look down across it some 30 years later.
Great choice in buying a D8R
Got photos.?
The day scraper operators turned into pussies was the day the cushion hitch was introduced - IMHO.
Here ya go.
And on the same token some of them older hands that got to finish their careers with cushion hitches were able to walk erect until almost 50 years instead of 40. I still like a Cat and Cable Can the best, but then the ones I play with are my age and don't go very fast.
Forgot one
Off topic- for one comment. Anyone that ever ran a 631B and got their azz bounced, you can them a pussies if you like. Cushion hitches were greatest back saving device ever put on a scraper. They also made haul road speeds unattainable non-cushion hitch scrapers could be run at. I put my time in on both styles.
Really nice looking D8R you have, KC ! Great choice !
Your D8R is in right,sharp up together order.I like it That’s the tool for humping those 21’s about.335hp and 40t is where it’s at. For me,the older 621,627 scrapers were a bit of a heavy pig to load with an old D8H or D8K.I’d rather push a TS24 to be honest.When pushing 627’s I liked a 155 or D9G back in the day. D8L was a beast to suit scrapers too. However,in this day and age,I reakon your D8R is perfect. Nice buy sir
Pretty cool to see forest sweeps on a machine in Oklahoma pushing scrapers
Thank you all. John me and the old man are at odds I wanna take the sweeps off personally.
I wouldn't want the sweep on it if isn't needed. It's hard enough to see out of those cabs without it. It can be put back on fairly quickly if a job comes that requires them. IMHO !
If you aren’t in the woods, they don’t do much. It will look like a big bug going across the cut. That might be pretty cool.
"put some plywood up thar to watch the NASCAR race from the infield"
8k is excellent for high load
The day they took steering tires off scrapers was the day you needed a cushion ride