Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 455c

1951chevyblue ยท 2016-09-18 19:50

New guy here I need help with a hi-lo problem on the right side only. Machine has been running fine for years, serviced regularly, and light use in the past 5 years. Today I pushed 200 yds. of fill and started noticing the right track was slow to engage between hi and lo. After an hour or so it was almost impossible to use. Any help would be welcome. Mike

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2016-09-19 18:17

    Welcome to HEF 1951chevyblue! Does your transmission pressure gauge still work? Can you see a difference in pressure in hi or low? Are both the same? Take note of the pressure at an idle, when oil flow is lower. Can you raise the machine off the ground & test? While off the ground, is there any track movement while in neutral? You may need to inspect the transmission hi/low shaft seal rings, this will involve removing the RH brake housing to gain access.

  2. #21951chevyblue2016-09-19 19:40

    Thanks for the reply Airman. I have never looked at the pressure gauge after starting and warm up. I will check it tomorrow. Yes I can raise the machine to check for anything required. Do you have a suspicion to the cause of the problem

  3. #31951chevyblue2016-09-20 18:05

    Well the pressure gauge seems to be working fine. At idle it is at the low end of the green zone. It stay's there even after shifting from Lo to Hi. The pressure stays the same in Hi and Lo with higher RPM's. When I started the machine today it seemed fine so I worked it for 1 1/2 hours. It did not falter. I should clarify that when the problem first started I had been pushing for several hours before the problem started, and got worse over the next hour. I have not raised the machine to check for track movement but I will if you think it is still warranted.

  4. #4alrman2016-09-21 00:43

    It seems like it may need high transmission temp to show itself?? When you have got it to operating temp, at an idle , click from neutral to high & then neutral to low, one side at a time . The pressure at neutral & what ever range is selected should be almost the same. Compare LHS with the RHS also. Take note of how long it takes to engage each shift & if each shift has the same amount of 'clunk' or machine jolt. If you have a problem with oil control rings on the RHS & if it has been continued to be used with this problem, pressure has been going to high while you have been operating in low. This will cause a drag or braking effect & can damage the clutch plates. This usually superheats the oil & sometimes a clutch plate may break & the broken pieces will interlock & can cause the pack to remain engaged - without pressure. When the machine is stopped the clutch pack will "relax" & sometimes, the broken pieces will move & almost allow normal operation. This 'drag'(if a pack is locked with broken plates) will cause the tracks to turn while in neutral. It is easier to see while raised off the ground. If the transmission pressure is generally low, the problem you have may simply be a worn charge pump. When it gets hot, a worn pump will deliver less oil. Maybe there is more leakage in RHS than LHS & the lower oil flow causes a drive issue?? You will need to test pressures at cold & when hot. Do you have access to any hydraulic test equipment to 500psi? Ideally you need to carry out a flow test. There is alot of things that COULD be wrong with it..... you will need to go through a process of elimination.