1967 D4 direct drive 78A7177. Have misplaced the info old magnet provided a while back about what current lubes to use in old machines as well as quantities. Believe this machine to be from the "one fluid goes in everything" generation. Mainly interested in the wet clutch but think I'll go ahead and change the finals and tranny as well. One other question; should something be added to the fuel in light of the low, low sulfur we are stuck using.
if its anything like the final drive fluid in my 74 case 350, the rear is GL-1 oil. From what I heard, it has some friction modifiers for the brake steering bands. As for the fuel: newer ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel) is terrible at lubricating old pumps and parts. Sulfur is a good lubricant, without it, old pumps get real tired real fast. I drive an old 95 dodge 1 ton flatbed with a 12 valve cummins (all mechanical) Just the other day I lost all boosted power because the mechanical fuel pump decided to get stuck open. In hopes to remedy this, I dumped a gallon of oil in my 1/4 full tank and it fixed it... for now. However where im going with this is; I read around and its common for old diesel goers to add 2 stroke mix to the fuel to add some much needed lubricant. To save at the pump, im going to start adding filtered waste motor oil instead of buying oil. Hope this helps.
It does help, thanks. I'm surprised by the low feedback on this. Maybe it's been brought up too often? The fuel tank holds 40 gallon, wonder how much oil to add, 40 of those little 2 stroke bottles... might be a little smokey.
Found this; SuperTech TC-W3 from WalMart, use one half ounce per gallon of diesel. The guy recommending it said it has a good track record and knows people in the diesel pump business that claim it works well.
last time i took a pump in to get rebuild, i think it was on a 5.9 cummins,pump man said, add a small can of stihl chainsaw 2 stroke oil often. hvguy how are you filtering the waste motor oil???
if I know where it came from ie. I made it myself, I pour it straight into the tank and let the fuel filter take care of it (8 micron) change filters once a year. Im working on a setup to flash the water out of it and pre screen to 20 micron. But haven't finished it yet.
Getting back to the original question; what oil to use in the clutch, trans and final drive. All I have found is TO-4 30W. Not going to pour any in until someone can confirm if this is indeed the correct oil.
I have the original manual for my machine, I'll take a pic later that says all the oils.
hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else, this is for a 74 case 350 crawler with a 188d engine. Since uploading it here kills the resolution, here are the full size files http://i67.tinypic.com/24o1zpf.jpg http://i66.tinypic.com/k02gpi.jpg