Anyone have any advice for a 480b that won’t move? Runs well hydraulics work. When I lift the rear wheels off the ground they turn but when down it won’t move. I can fell it feel it shifting into forward and reverse but seems almost like not enough power to move.
It has a four speed shifter with high and low gear (8 speed) and a clutch. A forward and reverse selector on the left of the steering wheel.
Do you have all gears in the 4 speed transaxle? Can you tell if the high/low range is going into gear. You may have a ring gear problem or a side gear problem.
I think there's a cover on top of the rear you can get off to have a look. May have the seat mounted on it.
It could be a bad clutch. You could try to have someone see if they can easily stop the tires when up in the air. I have an older 580ck NOT a b model with a clutch and on mine there is an inspection window on the left side of the bellhousing to see the clutch
Yes I believe so. All the gears work but it only ever moved in low gear.
I was thinking that but didn’t want to start pulling things apart before having some sort of plan of what to do or look at. I will try this out this week.
I was thinking this could be the problem but hoping it isn’t. The only thing that makes me think it’s not is the fact that the wheels do turn when off the ground and that I can feel the backhoe trying to move when in forward and reverse. Do you mean easily turn the wheels? I did try this and even in neutral I could not turn the wheels. I do have the window on the side but have no idea what to look for. Would you know what I should do or look for that could help further diagnose this? Or at least figure out if it’s the clutch or not?
it could be backhoe has a by pass valve that stops flow, when unloading front bucket usually controls by a button on on dump lever and could have another on floor board, the by pass valve is electric, could be stuck open good luck
With engine running can you shift all gears using the clutch? There is a small cover on the back of transaxle that you can remove to inspect ring gear (be sure and drain oil from transaxle first) that way you can see if ring gear is still attached to hub and you can also see side gears.
So if the clutch is slipping it means it either is worn, out of adjustment or contaminated with oil. You feeling it trying to move only means it is at least making some connection between the motor and transmission. It is not "locking" the engine to the transmission that is why it will not move the tractor on the ground but must be grabbing some to turn the tires in the air. I would look in that inspection window for signs of oil or rust on the flywheel where the friction disc makes contact. I also would look in the manual to see if there is an adjustment. The fact it has never worked in high gear is definitely something to keep in mind.
Did you check clutch pedal free play? A pedal that is being stopped by the floor board while not fully released can keep the clutch from fully applying. The pedal should have at least 2 inches of easy free play before the effort to push to release the clutch becomes evident. if not the rod length needs lengthened to get that measurement. I am guessing that we have determined it is not a power shuttle right?