Hi there. New member here. Been searching the internet for info related to my issue and cant find any info specific to this machine. It is an early 70's Case 480B (Construction King) - It has a backhoe on the back. I use this machine around my property for skidding logs and removing the occasional tree stump. After a day of using it to drag out a couple of leaning trees, then I parked it. I was beating on it a little but not bad. I had the back hoe extended straight out as a counter balance. All on dirt and plenty of tire spin but nothing out of the ordinary. After being parked for a couple of weeks, I went to use it for more firewood duties. ISSUE - The drivers side (left from drivers perspective) rear tire will not spin. It is locked up. It does move a bit back and forth like a locked steering wheel in a car. The other drive tire spins just fine. Forward, reverse, every gear. Done so far. - Took off that sides tire/wheel and fender. I have it up in the air using the down riggers for the back hoe. I removed the top plate which has the seat post attached to inspect the inside of the differential. I used a magnetic probe to fish around in the bottom of the case that is still filled with oil. There are no metal parts or shavings. All looks good. Nothing visibly broken inside. So here is what I am now thinking. Maybe this is being caused by the brake. I assume the only way to tell is to remove the brake housing. The brakes have not worked since I have had the machine. Never bothered to adjust or inspect. Use on level ground and have plenty of other projects so just used it as is. Problem with removing the brake housing = There is a mount for the frame of the tractor that makes it so you can not remove the lower right bolt from the brake housing. The bolt spins out and hits this from bracket. It looks to me like the only way around this is to some how lower the rear end (with axles/housings). This involves removing the back hoe. Remove the braces under the tractor that mount to the lower points on the hoe. This also looks like you have to remove the roll cage. Any advise on how to get this brake housing off is greatly appreciated. Then if it is not the brake..... I assume I am looking at removing the rear end all together which means splitting the machine. The fact that this thing broke while sitting (not being used) just blows my mind. I have a service manual for the machine but it does not get in to step by step directions by any means. Pretty limited info. Some decent pictures and diagrams but for some one sho has never worked on this type of machine before it is challenging to say the least. I am desperate. Falling behind by the day on the firewood.
The fact that it broke while sitting probably means something rusted loose or rusted tight at just that minute. I would bet a lot that it is in the brake, I have seen that a lot, and can't think of anything in the differential that is likely to do it.
Could it be the pinion in the rear ring that the side gear? Side gear is what connects to the brake as well as driving the rear gear for axle. Looking at the diagram in the case service manual, it looks like either some thing in there, or it is in the brake. If it was a bearing in the axle or the carrier, I would think it would be locked solid and not have back and forth play. There is not much play but there is movement. It is not frozen completely. So to remove the brake housing.....? Are there tricks to getting the lower right bolt out of the brake housing? It hits a major part of frame. Looks like end of frame and has 90 angle in at rear axle. This is where the bolts hold axle to frame. Tomorrow I will post some pictures. Hard to explain all of the specifics.
I don't remember ever pulling the brake housing off a 480B, but on a lot of backhoes, you have to separate the rear axle from the frame. When you put the pics up tomorrow, maybe I or somebody else can give you more help. Since you have a parts book, does it have the "balls in ramped slots" type brakes, or shoes and drums?
Common problem, take your acetylene torch and notch a small area in the loader frame to allow the bolt clearance to come out. 1/2-3/4" notch a bit bigger than the head of the bolt will do it. Have done many.