Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converting a john deere 310c 2×4 to 4×4 ??

Mountainmover ยท 2014-08-14 05:50

I have a trusty old john deere 310c backhoe. It is 2 wheel drive. I have low hour engine, trans, and rear axle. All the machine needs is a few new pins and bushings and a paint. How difficult and expensive would it be to convert this machine to a 4x4? Are parts easy to find at salvage yards? Expensive? What would I need?

Replies4
  1. #1lantraxco2014-08-14 14:32

    I wouldn't think that would be economically sensible, aside from the front axle, you would have to change the whole rear main case/transmission to get the mechanical ouput for the front driveshaft. Maybe somebody else will have a better idea, I'm just looking at the parts books.

  2. #2Mountainmover2017-03-08 15:23

    So, if I found a 310c 4x4 that needs an engine or has burned....I could just swap my stuff over to it. The main thing as far as converting mine would be a transfer case, driveshaft, front axle, and controls to engage? Thanks for replies and the help!

  3. #3hammertime2017-03-08 15:33

    I was wanting to do the same on my machine. I would only use it a couple of times for the loader. I think The axle was $5000 and the tranny....I didn't bother looking at after seeing that price.

  4. #4Willie B2017-03-08 21:28

    Only feasible if you found a donor tractor. Buy tire chains instead. For example, I'm looking for a blade angle cylinder for a Dresser, Best price I've found for one small component is $1000. It needs a repack.