Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 480c Need help fixing diff lock

Wyattrew · 2020-10-25 17:00

So I've got a 80ish 480c and ever since I've had it the diff lock hasn't been hooked up, don't know why or anything. I'm tired of getting stuck constantly so its time to fix it. the linkage from the floor is totally unhooked but the lever that comes out of the transaxle looks like its been put together wrong, its pointed straight up and if you hook up the linkage is sticks up probably 3 inches from the floor, there is a little bit of wiggle in the lever but I cant get it to move much in either direction. Does anyone have a diagram on how its supposed to be and how how it all comes apart? I've also got to replace the brakes since both master cylinders look to be full of water and do nothing but I want to see if the diff lock is going to be a major repair first. Thanks.

Replies13
  1. #1jd12342020-10-26 00:12

    Sounds like it was assembled wrong. Knock out roll pins and rotate shaft to make it look like attached. Then reinstall roll pins ............ Free Case 480C service manual available at Minnpar.com (OEM Part Manuals)

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-10-26 11:47

    The correct indexing of the lever to the shaft is quite important for it to operate.

  3. #3Wyattrew2020-10-26 18:17

    Okay so it is definitely oriented the wrong way, I'll turn it to the correct position and see if it works. Hopefully nothing wrong inside the case. It'll be a few days before I can get back under it so I'll update then.

  4. #4Tinkerer2020-10-26 20:03

    Opps ! Sorry for being late with, Welcome To HEF, Wyattrew !

  5. #5DirtyHoe2020-11-01 09:19

    I don't want to add confusion to this, but if this is like the 580c there were changes to the linkage system depending on the transaxle serial number. One had a bell crank between the floor and the lever and the other didn't. So the bell crank style is installed with the lever at about 3 o'clock like in the picture above. The direct linkage style(no bell crank) is mounted at about 10 o'clock. Check to see if you have a bell crank style or not and go from there. Steve

  6. #6jhonygee2020-11-03 06:32

    Teşekkürler Steve!

  7. #7Wyattrew2020-11-06 15:41

    So this may seem like a dumb question but the only roll pin I see is on the back side through the shaft and it won't budge, it looks like a pin in the front side of it as Well but theres nowhere for it to go even if it did move. Thanks.

  8. #8Wyattrew2020-11-06 17:00

    Guess I wasn't totally clear on my question, is the roll pin through the shaft on the back of the lever the one you have to drive out? I just spent a few minutes today trying to drive it out but I wanted to make sure that's the right one before I spend. Bunch of time getting it out.

  9. #9stinky642020-11-06 17:27

    Have you taken the cover off to see if the internals are intact or just guessing? If not right inside, there's no way linkage will connect and work no matter how arm is positioned.....

  10. #10Wyattrew2020-11-06 18:24

    Not had the cover off but the lever moves and feels like its correct. I dont want to tear into it unless I have to I just want to try to position the lever first. Seems the more I fix on this thing the more that breaks so I don't want to get any mote involved then I have to.

  11. #11stinky642020-11-07 01:51

    Not a big operation, if it's the same as 580c just twist the bolts out and pull the cover,no seals or gaskets involved...just put 'er back in the way ya found 'er if nothings wrong...its already disconnected...

  12. #12franklin22020-11-07 09:14

    I seem to remember these diff locks on these backhoes give some sort of problem when you try to use them? They stick or something? That may be why it's disconnected.

  13. #13stinky642020-11-07 11:28

    More like they snap the end of the cross shaft off if engaged while the wheels are spinning..that's why it's kinda important to see what's under that cover...