Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 480C shuttle leak

K&K ยท 2023-07-23 10:39

Hi Everyone I have a Case 480C backhoe here is my problem after running the machine after a while I have oil coming from the breather on top of shuttle I did check breather all seems ok and I also took pan off cleaned filter or pick up screen put all back together again and same thing everything work fine forward and revers any clues on what to do Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-07-24 20:19

    Welcome to HEF, K&K ! Could you post a couple of pictures of it. Is the oil level wayyy overfull ??

  2. #2K&K2023-07-24 21:22

    Thanks No oil level oil is perfect I will try to post some pictures if I can get in at it have to see Thanks

  3. #3alrman2023-07-25 00:23

    Welcome to HEF @K&K This just seems to be something that happens on some shuttle transmissions. I suspect that there is an issue with the bore in the housing for the control valve. It's expensive to repair as the housing needs to be bored & sleeved - by someone who really knows what they are doing. In saying that, I stumbled across this parts page, a little while back, for a 580C that allows one to put up with this sort of problem. Case called it an Oil Eruption Kit. The kit is no longer available, but you can still buy a new breather & weld a fitting to install it & a tailpiece for the oil hose, without too much trouble.

  4. #4K&K2023-07-25 07:40

    Wow Thanks Alrman , I am not going to use the hoe hard just when needed this will work for me and save some money to Thanks once again

  5. #5stinky642023-07-25 09:42

    I did the exact thing Alrman described, 3 ft. piece of neoprene from the vent looped up into the frame (make sure to avoid linkages and driveshaft and make sure your "mounting system" is kinda quick connect to make emptying easy) into a clear plastic mayo container to catch the fluid when it decides to leak, kind of intermittently, sometimes the machine will sit for a month without leaking and then the temp rises 20 degrees and she squeezes out a quart? Gremlins. One thing that I have been doing that seems to remedy the issue is when shutting the machine down press the cutout button on the floor while turning off the key and shutting down, this seems to relieve the pressure so it doesn't leak, which makes perfect sense after alrman's control valve/bore theory. My machine is 580C , but I think yours is similar. One other note, always check the shuttle level whenever you start up before you engage the shuttle or you risk burning up the shuttle clutches. I always check the mayo jug first to see if it leaked or not, that"ll let you track when it's leaking. Good luck.

  6. #6K&K2023-07-25 09:49

    Thank You for another great idea much appreciated K&K

  7. #7stinky642025-01-16 11:09

    Shuttle leak update. Got tired of emptying jug and worrying about burning up the clutches. Drilled and tapped existing dipstick tube, installed 1/8 npt-3/8 hose barb and 1/8 npt breather vent similar to illustration and ran 3/8 neoprene line from hose barb to shuttle vent and clamped (removed cap). Make sure to purge metal shavings from tube and tapping. Has been 2 months with lots of use and temp fluctuations and still leak free. Goodbye mayo jug. The eruption kit is advertised for Borg Warner shuttles pre #3086, mine is #102. There was obviously an issue with early shuttles if they made this "special" part, probably no recalls in 1976. Hope this helps somebody else.