Hi all! So here’s the story. Digging out a stump on an incline and ran out of fuel. Got fuel then generator fried for some unknown reason when trying to restart. Also melted negative battery post. Fast forward a year. Yeah I know…what??? A year??? Lol, I travel for work so time home is limited. I got new mini alternator to replace generator and new battery. Fuel smelled like varnish so drained tank all lines and new filters. So here’s where my problem gets fun. I have fuel to filters, to pump. Top of pump filling up but nada to injectors. Drained pump and put cleaner in, filled inlet port and spun it. It sucked cleaner down. Did that several times then let cleaner sit for about an hour. Drained, flushed with fresh fuel. Still no fuel to injectors. I did notice some fine black particles in the top when I cleaned it out. Return line is flowing. So any ideas or suggestions?
Got to thinking, this might help…
Just have to prime it. Loosen some injector lines. Make sure you have good cranking speed. They are difficult to prime. Just prime it. If it still doesn’t start, pull it until the water boils. Then, it will start.
Thanks for the reply Coaldust! Well sir, I’ve been cranking it for 2 days, got a big charger on it so crank speed is good but still no fuel at injectors. Problem with pulling it is hoe is hooked on a stump and outriggers are down.
Does it have a mechanical transfer pump?
Glow plugs?
It’s gravity fed. I pressurized the fuel tank hoping that would work but still nothing. No glow plugs. Hate to use ether but used that to get it running. Kept giving short blasts. Still didn’t get fuel to injectors.
Does that old seizamaster pump have a 12v solenoid?
Does your welding rig look like this?
Nope, no solenoid. Has the pull cable. When I sprayed cleaner in there, made sure it was free and working right. Unfortunately mine looks nothing like that lol. That’s a good looking rig.
This is what I’m working from now…
The black particles sound like the plastic ring in the pump going out or your metering valve is stuck I would say time for a rebuild of pump
Thanks for the reply Dave! I’ve got the metering valve moving freely. Didn’t take it apart to check it for crud tho. Think I read something on that black ring failing. Read a bunch of stuff from thepumpguysc and I think you are right. Time to quit fighting with it and just get it rebuilt.
Holl up' If you've got the metering valve moving, and you were able to identify it, you're most of the way there. That ring failing will usually cause it to quit after a few minutes, then start right up and run another short period, you can remove the return fitting and clean it, or run it without the fitting in place to verify the plugged return from the ring. You may still need it rebuilt because something is sticking, but it might free up with another year of sitting and putzing with it. You could try searching stuck plungers, there are guys that try air etc. I've only ever had to clean and tap stuff...
After a year of sitting, I’d say the pumping plungers are stuck. But if u were trying to start it w the return connector plugged up, it would act like that.. If u can’t get fuel out… u can’t get fuel in. U can remove the checkball fitting entirely and try to start it.. If you’re in the States, I’d be happy to do the rebuild for u..