I have a new to me case 480 c. I bought if from a younger man who got it from a grandfather passing, he new nothing about it, was just selling it. It starts right up, no smoke, good power and hydraulics work well. When I tested it, it drove forward and backwards fine. To get it to go in reverse, the column shifter, was hard to pull the shifter back. I get it home and now the column shifter will go forward and into neutral. It wont let the shifter be pulled back to reverse. I follow the linkage from the column down to a solenoid on the side of the tranny. I see the wires to the solenoid are cut. So I take the solenoid off and put 12 volts to it, nothing happens. So I’m pretty sure it’s bad. So now my question why would someone just cut the wires? And would the solenoid being bad make it so the shifter would not be allowed to slide into reverse? Thanks for any advice
solenoid would just put the machine IN N when using the loader while your in forward or reverse. Sounds like something is binding
As said above, the wires are to the declutch solenoid. It is operated by a button on your implement handle, on your tranny handle, or by a foot pedal (could be all 3). When activated with tranny in gear, it dumps the oil pressure in that clutch circuit and causes the tranny to nuetral, when you let off the button....it goes back in gear. Take the linkage off the lever at the tranny......move the lever on the tranny ,you feel 3 distinct positions for forward, nuetral, and reverse. If they are there, your linkage is binding somewhere.
I have a 480c, like the others said, the solenoid is not needed for normal functioning of forward and reverse. I actually got my solenoid hooked up and working, and I hate it. So I leave the switch in off. I took my solenoid off also because I have a oil leak there. I don't know if you noticed, but there is a ball and spring that falls out when you take it off, I almost lost mine. I had to use heavy wheel bearing grease to hold it to get it back together. I found out to replace the o-ring that is leaking, you have to take the shuttle loose and twist it around, and pull the shifting spool out to replace the -o-ring. I decided the leak is not enough to go through all that. Mine would also struggle to move when it was cold. I drained the oil, pulled the pan off, cleaned it and the screen out, and put it back together with the tractor supply universal trans fluid, and it works much better. Going into gear now when cold now is instant.
Hi steve23. I also have a 480C and I am having the exact same problem. I can get it in foward and neutral but not reverse. Did you solve your problem yet and/or do you have any advice that could help me out?
Hi David, I took the solenoid off and it shifted fine. So I ordered a new solenoid, and it acted about the same with the new one on.... as in not working. So I took it back off and it worked. I never got around to changing all the fluids, might have helped. But I graded the drive up at our mountain property, and didn’t need it for awhile. So I put it up for sale, explained what it was doing to the old man who bought it, he didn’t seem to concerned, and watched it drive away for for a bit more then I bought it for 6 months earlier.