Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310d backhoe

jeremy w carlan ยท 2018-01-28 10:21

I have a 310d John Deere backhoe ser#to310df774954 and my question is it was in 4 gear and locked up in the middle of the road with out any noise or anything and now it will only move in first gear any help with what it might be would be appreciated

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2018-01-28 10:31

    Is the parking brake on for some unknown reason ? Can you put it in neutral and then raise rear wheels off the ground and turn them by hand ?

  2. #2jeremy w carlan2018-01-28 10:37

    It will move in 1st gear fine but when you try 2,3, and 4 its locked

  3. #3Tinkerer2018-01-28 10:58

    I would guess it is has two gears engaged at the same time . Sometimes caused by worn or broken shifting forks or rails. But, your transaxle didn't make any noise when it happened and the tractor was moving. That is puzzling to me.

  4. #4Ronsii2018-01-28 11:14

    First gear will usually move anything... including brakes dragging or stuck on.... and without any noises, clunking or grinding noticeable, I would still perform the test Tinkerer suggested in post #2 Unless you are s100 percent sure it will freewheel in neutral??? One other thing... if the fluids are low or near empty in the trans you could get similar issues....

  5. #5jeremy w carlan2018-01-28 12:13

    I just checked it again and its still in 1st gear when the transaxle shifter is in neutral something must be hung up

  6. #6Tinkerer2018-01-29 18:33

    Broken shift fork or tooo much wear on the bottom of the shift lever that will allow the rails to get out of timing. I don't know about a 310 trans axle , but usually you can remove the top cover on a transmission and move the rails with a bar to unlock two gears that in an engaged situation.

  7. #7Billrog2018-01-29 20:25

    I would try what Tinkerer suggested I've done it on 2 different hoes and 1 dump truck with out the problem reoccurring.