Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 480c swing is slow.

AngryGnome ยท 2023-10-22 21:44

Got this running after a few years sitting and the swing pedal were kind of stuck. I put some weight on one and heard a really loud pop. Now they are working but really slow. It almost seemed like they were locked or something. Anyone ever seen this? Everything else is moving good, although I should mention when I bottom out the boom the bucket will curl. Sure wish I had a service manual.

Replies5
  1. #1franklin22023-10-22 22:46

    I have a 480c. I think I noticed when I push one pedal down, the other one goes up. I have never messed with it much, but it seems there is a lot of mechanical things going on there before it even gets to the hydraulic valve. I tried to attach a 580c manual, but it is too large. I have the 480c manual also, but they seem to be mostly the same thing, and the 580c manual is easier to read. Not sure the best way to send it, it's compressed to 62KB

  2. #2Tinkerer2023-10-23 10:19

    Send me your email address in a private conversation and I will send you a link to my Google Drive to downlaod the sm. Totally free of course.

  3. #3melben2023-10-23 12:11

    I would not do anything before I uncovered the pedal and valve control rods and linkages, once the covers are removed the spool travel can be watched to see if it is going fully in both directions till it is stopped by full travel by the valve internals. do not assume a hydraulic problem till the externals are determined to be good. Machines that age generally have much wear and I would not be surprised if yours does also. I would clean, lubricate and adjust the pedals till they have a good uptilt, I have seen many wear till the pedals bottom on the floor before the spool strokes fully. there are clevises on the rods to make those adjustments. Let us know what you find.

  4. #4AngryGnome2023-10-23 13:52

    Will do. I've had it for many years. The swing worked fine last time I used it but I had been sitting for a few years. Good advice cleaning and lubing everything. What would cause the bucket to curl when the boom is bottomed out?

  5. #5melben2023-10-24 12:01

    That hoe valve body has check valves that have o rings on them that are a known problem that cause exactly what you are experiencing, they are located under the secondary relief valve cartridges. Replace them all and use Case's Orings, garden variety Orings are not good enough for that application.