Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 480c TLB doesn’t want to move.

AngryGnome ยท 2023-11-12 17:50

I was moving dirt yesterday and today when I started it up I could get it to move. After running about 5 minutes it would just creep forward or backwards. There was no increase in speed when throttled. I need to figure out if it's the clutch or the shuttle. I don't see a drain on the shuttle or a fill cap. I have a manual but it doesn't cover drain or fill at all. Had a little smoke coming out of the bellhousing but it didn't smell like clutch burning. It smelled more like oil.

Replies14
  1. #1franklin22023-11-14 18:24

    If you have a shuttle, you do not have a clutch. The shuttle dipstick is over on the pass side behind the engine panel, sort of under the windshield area. That is where you fill it also. Sounds like it is low on oil. I use the oil from Tractor Supply that has the Case oil substitution listed on it.

  2. #2AngryGnome2023-11-14 23:48

    Will do. I'll look where you recommend. I sure think it has a clutch and it has the forward reverse lever on the column. I have to push the clutch in to change between the two. I have been using the TSC case oil. Once I get the leaks fixed I'll get the Case oil. I sure hope it's something as simple as low oil. Thanks.

  3. #3AngryGnome2023-11-15 12:40

    I can't find a dip stick or a fill tube. There's a round hole on top beside the fuel filler and it has a tube with a pipe plug in it but it doesn't seem to go down to the drivetrain. I think it's just a vent for something, fuel tank maybe? Here are some pics. Maybe someone can tell me what I've got here.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2023-11-15 13:24

    You do have a manual shuttle with a dry clutch. It sounds like the clutch is oil soaked and slipping.

  5. #5AngryGnome2023-11-15 13:43

    Yeh it seems to have the right amount of play when it releases. I wonder if the rear main is leaking in it..

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2023-11-15 13:49

    Yeah kind of sounds like it. Not a hard fix but a pain in the rear. You need to support your engine when you pull bell housing.

  7. #7AngryGnome2023-11-15 18:48

    Tried the hi low range this afternoon and it's stuck. Maybe it's in between. Did t really have time to investigate any further. I wonder if it is stuck in between, would it try to move at all?

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2023-11-16 22:34

    Maybe; but you have to remember that these are all gear boxes and no clutch packs. There should be a dipstick in the top of the gear box should be like a hex head like 1 1/2" in size.

  9. #9AngryGnome2023-11-17 02:26

    I'll go out tomorrow morning and reach on top of it tomorrow to see if I can feel that. There doesn't seem to be much clearance up there.

  10. #10AngryGnome2023-11-17 16:09

    I think I can rule out the high low range possibly being the issue. It's stuck but it's the lever rusted to the pin it pivots on. I took the grease zert out and squirted some kroil in the hole. I'll let that sit overnight and grease it tomorrow and see if it frees it up. So I'll just have to bite the bullet and take the clutch out and see what it's like. It's not in the greatest spot to work on. Wet weather is here so I'm not sure when I can tear into it.

  11. #11Apollo2023-11-18 07:43

    My 480 D has clutch packs at least that what I was told and it has shuttle

  12. #12Tinkerer2023-11-18 08:11

    Does the clutch pedal have the correct amount of free play like it is described in the service manual ?

  13. #13franklin22023-11-18 08:35

    Be careful, you may end up with mud on your face like me. I am finding out Case must have had 5 or 6 different drivetrain variations through the years. You think you are getting it straight in your head and another variation pops up.

  14. #14AngryGnome2023-11-18 23:58

    I'd say it has about an inch of free play. It tries to move a bit and if I really ease into it it will move but throttle input has no effect on it. I'm pretty sure the shuttle has oil in it because it's leaking from the yoke seal on the drive shaft side. I was shared a 480c manual and studying the shuttle case and bell housing I'm confident this is the same mechanical shuttle as the manual. It's looking more and more like it's the clutch.