I have a question about a newly acquired Case 480D back hoe. It's got a 188d engine Roosamaster db24 injection pump When I went to look at it, it would start up, run for about 30 seconds then die. After a bit of research/troubleshooting I found the check valve on the fuel return loop (injection pump return) that was rusted. To get it moved, I had to knock the ball out of the check valve. From searching, I have read about a "flex ring" that is made of plastic and can fail, blocking the check valve. My question is this: Can I simply replace the rusty check valve and see how it runs? Or do I need to dig further into the pump and see if the plastic ring is degraded? Also any tips on how to get manuals for this thing? Thanks for any help you can offer.
If the return connector is rusted, chances are, the entire system is..?? You wont know until/if you take the top cover off. IF you have access to the side cover, you can remove IT & look for flex ring remnants.. coffee ground looking bits.[mouse turds] They gather in the corners of the side window.. IF you remove the top cover, the Flex R bits gather in the corners.. YOU CAN run it w/ the checkball knocked out until the RPM's start to fluctuate.. THEN shut it down & get it repaired.. shut i down when it STARTS to fluctuate.. don't fight it or repairs will get more expensive. JUST REMEMBER> the flex ring bits are going back to the tank & can create other problems.. clogged filters or fuel tank screen.. When you get to the repair part.. give me a shout.. that's what I do.. rebuild injection pumps..
Thanks for the information on the pump! Anyone have tips for finding a service manual at a decent price? Maybe electronic?
You can download the service manual for a 480C here. It is the previous model but, most all of the information will apply to your D series. http://files.minnpar.com/partbooks/BACKHOE MANUALS/CASE (CNH) BACKHOE MANUALS/CASE 480 SERIES PARTS MANUALS/CASE 480C SERVICE MANUAL.pdf There is a lot of usefull information for the various modei 480s here . -----> http://www.tractordata.com/industrial-tractors/000/0/9/99-ji-case-480d.html