Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 480E LL Parking Brake Assembly

bselff ยท 2022-08-11 12:29

Is there a new style parking brake for this tractor. I have replaced the disc itself but it appears the output shaft grooves from the trans are worn also. I am thinking about drilling the disc and either installing set screws or a roll pin to keep it from rocking side to side and possible breaking the output shaft. Any ideas would be of great help Bob

Replies2
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2022-08-11 16:32

    Hey Bob; yeah that was a bad design on Cases part. The brake disc would vibrate on the shaft and wear the splines on the input shaft. The 4x4 machines had a stub shaft that went into the gear box, but the 2x4 machines didn't that. Your idea of drilling and tapping for a set screw might work IDK. Other than that you could weld it but could you get it center enough to not cause worse vibration and take out the front bearing. I don't know of any fix that Case came up with. I guess you could take the shaft out and have new splines make for it but that would probably not be cheap. You might be able to find a good aftermarket input shaft to replace the original.

  2. #2bselff2022-08-11 18:26

    Thank you for your input. I will pull it and see if I have a tap long enough to get through it, not sure yet how hard it is, making an assumption it would only be case hardened since the splines in it wear quickly. Thanks Again, Bob