Hello, I have had this tractor for some years, for its size it is powerful and solid, but what gets me pulling my hair out is the hand controls. Is there something I can do to improve them. The only throttle is a hand throttle, let go and it springs back to zero, so I need one hand on the steering wheel and one on the throttle. The two levers for the three point linkage drop if released, they will not stay where they were put, except at the bottom, especially if there is any load on the linkage. I have modified the pto lever, because before I modified it it would turn off as soon as the lever was released. I have put a sort of home made ratchet on it which has solved that. But if you are mowing for example you cannot vary the height because one hand has to steer and the other one has to be on the throttle because otherwise it would drop immediately to tickover. I have had Massey and Ford tractors in the past, I have never had these issues, either had a stiff hand throttle or hand and foot throttles. As far as I can see the return spring is on the diesel pump, I am concerned if I remove it there may be problems. Another problem just happened, the 4 speed gear lever is moving freely, but the forward reverse lever is stuck in high forward. I am hoping if I leave it for a while it might free up. Yes the hydraulic oil is up to level.
I'm gonna guess this has friction discs in the shafts to hold the controls in position and they're worn out.
I got the gears working, I removed the plate behind the left footwell which revealed the two levers entering the gearbox, each connecting to the forward/reverse lever. Even tapping the front lever lightly with a hammer and drive, it did not move, but when I tapped the other lever which is behind the first, I felt a little give and with a few more taps it returned to the neutral position. PHEW!! I thought I was going to need a serious gearbox repair, the cost of which would have put the tractor in the scrap.
I have taken the covers off below the dash but although I can see where the friction discs are likely to be sited, I don't know how to get in there, I have big hands. I may try to offer a ring or open ended to connect to the nut at the bottom, which might be about 21mm, and try and tighten it, but without moving a lot of other things like hydraulic hoses etc. I am not sure how I might be able to replace the friction discs.
Yeah, there should be a way to adjust all the levers so they stay in place. Could they have gotten oil on the fiction discs. or what ever holds them in position?
I have been very busy and not been able to look at it closely, the most important is the throttle, there is a big nut at the bottom of the throttle lever shaft, and what may be friction discs behind but it is very difficult to get to, I am hoping I might just be able to tighten the nut. I don't know how to get my hand underneath there is so little space.