Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 5625 tractor broken housing

davejo · 2026-07-13 15:25

Cast rockshaft housing self destructed. Looks like its made in Turkey? by HEMA. There is a HEMA casting or part number on it. The part is on backorder from Deere. I see a used one that looks correct but the HEMA number is different on it. I'm trying to decide whether to roll the dice or not on the part. Is it possible that the same part might come with different numbers cast into it?

Replies8
  1. #1Welder Dave2026-07-13 20:39

    I think the JD dealer would be the best to answer your question. We're there different transmission options?

  2. #2Mr. Wrench2026-07-13 22:09

    Do you know the model and serial number of the tractor that the used one came off of. If you did, you could look up both tractors and see if they use the same part number. Also see if there are serial number breaks. Look at the John Deere parts catalog here https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/

  3. #3davejo2026-07-14 19:05

    Deere dealer didn't know the answer to my casting number question. They did find one housing in stock on the west coast. One salvage guy told me he has sold 20 of these housings so I guess this isnt a one-off. Now I need to figure out how this system allowed the internal cylinder to overextend and bust the rockshaft out of the housing into the great outdoors

  4. #4davejo2026-07-23 14:34

    I have a hitch idiot light illuminated. I'm looking for a way to read the codes. Other than JD "Service advisor laptop" or "Performance monitor handheld", is there a cheap way to pull codes on this? In the fuse panel there is an empty slot for a "diagnostic mode" fuse but I'm not sure if that just checks the instrument cluster rather than be involved with set codes, etc.

  5. #5davejo2026-07-25 12:14

    any questions?

  6. #6davejo2026-07-26 08:58

    I got the new housing and indeed the casting number on it is different than the original one. The used one would have worked, oh well.

  7. #7Welder Dave2026-07-26 18:23

    If it's a fairly common problem should be covered on warranty or under a recall. Housings on tractors shouldn't break like that unless there is severe operator abuse. Is there anything mentioned in the operators manual about doing certain things could cause damage to the housing? If not I'd be asking for at least partial compensation for the new casting and/or labour to replace it.

  8. #8davejo2026-08-08 16:58

    I agree there should be no way for this to happen. I got a license from deere to use their software on this specific tractor and had to buy data interface to read the codes for about $900 The codes were hitch position sensor errors. I cleared it and couldnt get it to repeat on its own. The sensor reads about 1 volt with the hitch raised to the top. The code is triggered at below 0.5 volts. I could get the code to repeat by manually pulling the arms upward, past the point of where the lift link broke out of the housing. If the lift arms were violently pushed upwards by sliding back into a tree or by trying to lift the tractor by its arms, the link could theoretically be forced out the back of the housing. Taking the housing apart revealed a dent in the edge of the lift piston where it over extended and kissed the lift link. I think this disproves the abuse theory and suggests the machine self destructed. One of the operation modes for the hitch is open loop, i think. If you lift the hitch to the top this way, the relief valves in the system should keep the housing from breaking like this even if the operator is ignorant.