I just bought a case 488p wheeled digger the problem I have is that it works fine for 10 mins or so the left hand joystick goes dead and digger won't move turn engine off and restart works fine again for another 10 mins any ideas
Good day John Not 100% if those RCV, s are pilot type if they are may I suggest you check the input pressure and the drain line, the filter could be needing replacement although I would expect that to effect both the RCV lever. If you have a hydraulic schematic that would be helpful. Kind regards Uffex
Do we know what type of joystick controls you have? I am assuming they are hydraulic pilot?
Hey how are u thanks reply no sorry don't have any schematic for the digger funny thing is I was using it today for a few hours and it only did it one at, could it be a valve in the valve block it looks to have 2 separate valve chests
Yes they are hydraulic pilots
The only way a hydraulic pilot control goes “dead” on functions is for the to be no movement or pressure of oil for it to work with. It almost sounds like the flow for the left side is being restricted somehow. Does it start working immediately after you stop and restart?...... or is it sitting for awhile before you restart?
It starts working straight away, digger has good power when working for its age it's a bit weak to travel alright but one problem at a time thanks for the help
Good day John Some R.C.V. have a screen filter installed could be something coming and going blocking the filterif you make photo,s and psot those it could help with remote diagnostics. Kind regards Uffex
Ok thank you , what do you want me to take the pictures of the valve chest
Yeah you could have those filtering screens in the pilot inlets. They would be inside the fitting that your pressure line goes to on your joystick.
Ho under the joystick? But if they were getting blocked would I not still have travel ?
It depends on how the pilot system is plumbed. It is normally a manifold that will have several pressure ports that will feed left, right, and travel joysticks/pedals. Those inlet screens would be inside the fittings where the pressure line hooks up to each joystick. This is providing they even have the screens but your symptoms are extremely similar.
Th Thank u ill will check 2 more hopefully the screens are there? Any ideas on my weak travel ? Could there be a filter for the transmission?
Good day John May I suggest you focus on one issue at once check the pilot pressure going to that RCV, illustration may be helpful. We do not have information on the 488P maybe it would be worth getting a manual if you intend to keeep the beast. Kind regards Uffex
Thank u kindly any ideas where I could get a manual?
Good day John I would have a search on the internet sometimes you can find what you need for what is a little less common machine, or you could appeal to the Case dealer if you cannot find a manual look for a hydraulic & electric schematic (A kind Case dealer may help out without charge) with that information we should be able to figure out what has gone wrong, it does sound like a moving obstruction of some sort. To see what is common to the RCV and travel we need that schematic. We have some information around Case Poclian but it falls short of your machine. Not sure if "ToolKing" has it on file this fellow has helped many out with manuals, you can find him on the HEF. Kind regards Uffex
Hey guys tried for the screen filters in the control leaver but nothing the got a manual today would my problem be in the valve block ?
Good day John The "P" line is the feed of pilot pressure coming from the manifold block 9 which has to be fed from the pump, do you have an illustration of the lines to and from the No.9 Kind regards Uffex
No I don't I'm missing 1 section of the manual, but I think I'm still getting pressure to the leaver even when it goes dead because when I activate the offset boom valve it moves left and right from the joystick
Hi John It appears that the top row of the manifold is that of pilot pressure if as you suggest the other controls are working fine from this same source it must be a fault with the R.C.V. I do not recognize the manufacturer my suggestion would be removing the control lever take it apart on the bench see what is going on inside. Remember to have plugs at hand as the fluid will keep running. If you can establish the manufacturer from the R.C.V we can try to dig out some more information. Kind regards Uffex
Thanks for the help I will try that the weekend
Hi John Attached is from the 988 I note there is a manual pump looks as if it's by foot control if this was leaking it could dump pressure to tank, if you have a schematic for your machine please post it that may help this end. KR Uffex
Good day John We have been reviewing some information this one came up it may be useful to you although a guess would be that the housing is worn in your case. Kind regards Uffex
Hey guys up date on my case , I found the manifold no blockage there even getting flow up to my rcv even when it goes dead, I turned my attention to the valve chest then, I started excavator worked it till my left RCV went dead as usual, removed my return hose and nothing came out, I mean nothing! I still had flow on the pressure side of chest, Am I on the right track in thinking that the fault is in the valve chest itself?
Good day John I suggest if you do not have any pressure gauge that you obtain a 0-40 bar pressure switch adapt this into the "P" line and hook a multi meter or lamp into the connection. This will tell you if the issue is before or after the RCV. If you have a hydraulic schematic post it on here Im sure that will help me and the rest of the guys to help out. Kind regards Uffex
Hey thanks for the reply, I was fooling around with the old case today following the return line from the valve chest back to the tank and found what I think is a inline non return valve? Ran excavator had all movements on both rcv , after 30 seconds as usual lost the left 1 and forward and reverse i tuck top of hydraulic tank and noticed nothing returning through this hose so, so I tuck off the what I'm calling a non return valve and put return hose directly into tank, excavator runs better but still loses the left rcv leaver and travel but if I use blade and put a load on pump I regain full function on everything for 2 or 3 mins . I think my problem is my pump is the problem it seems like I lose pressure on one side of it and put the other side under load and it will correct itself ? Could there be a valve or something sticking ?
God day John May I suggest that the easier way to troubleshoot the problem is with a hydraulic schematic, there appears to be no reason why you should loose power to one RCV and not the other. If the pump was about to give up you would have an issue with all functions, it appears from your latest post if you pressurise that circuit you get the function back - a guess that appears to force a nonreturn valve onto its seat - where this is or what function it provides is very difficult to say without that schematic. I wish I could be more helpful. Kind regards Uffex
What schematic would u like to see? Valve chest ? Main hydrolic pump? Rcv leavers?
Good day John Normally there will be a complete diagram with all circuits if not post all of those you have. Kind regards Uffex
Will do it this evening
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Could any1 help me
Hello
Any1 out there
Pleas help
Case 488p need help
I had a komatsu pc200-5 that did that. Ended up finding a screen on that pilot control valve intake. There was trash that would plug the screen up after a few minutes of operation. If I let it sit overnight it apparently drifted off and would work again for a few minutes.
Was the screen at the leaver or was it from pump to manifold?? Thanks
I'll give it a whirl. Can you change joysticks from one side to the other to rule out joystick being the problem? Does this happen under a certain situation or all the time? Does anyone think it could be the turret/swivel valve.
All the time some times you might get 10 mins out of it other times 30 seconds if it does it once it will do it every 30 sconds
The screen was in the inlet port on joystick