Hi all. Newb here. I have a Case 530CK I hope put to use shortly and have a few questions. I couldn't find answers to on this forum so I'll ask. I have a 16" bucket on the hoe and would like to get a 24". What buckets fit this hoe? Loader bucket is pretty worn, but repairable (leading edge worn and top of bucket is curled down?) what are fix/ replacement options? The rear tires are oversized 16.9x24, stock tire is 14.9x24. Clearance is obviously tighter, but no rubbing. I live in an area where we get pretty good snow and plan on moving some. Tires are all in pretty good shape so if I don't have to replace them I'd prefer not to. Current tires won't allow chain clearance (I think) .Tires are pretty close to stabilizers. Looking at studs. does anyone have experience with grip studs? Seats, both of them are missing cushions. There could be a clearance issue for some replacement cushions. What is a good source for replacements and any suggestions ? I know she's an old hoe, but for her age she seems pretty tight. No pin wobble. Leaks a bit, but not bad. Fires right up and runs real well. Doesn't appear to need anything too bad aside from seats. I usually change out all the oil, engine, tranny, trans. case, diff's on a new to me truck. What fluids would you suggest I change on my hoe? What fluids to avoid? Anyone with experience on an old 530Ck that have any tips or tricks would be appreciated! Thanks Much, $
Wow, 290 views and not one response?!? I'm also a newb with a '65 530CK-sounds like yours is in MUCH better shape than mine. So far I've repacked all 7 cylinders on the hoe, taken the radiator and the fuel tank out for repairs due to leaks [and the tank leaks in a different spot now-supposedly the radiator guy pressure-tested it but that's a crock-grrrr]. Replaced the water pump/belt/thermostat/radiator hoses/return lines , added an alternator, replaced the power steering filter, headlights, rear tires, all the gauges and a few other things which slip my mind just now. I went smaller on the rear tires, down to 13.6-24 because I found a good set of used ones for $300 mounted. Dunno how you don't have any rubbing with those 16.9's-mine came with one of those and one 14.9 and the bigger one was definitely rubbing on the stabilizer. I've used 1 1/4" hex head screws driven into the lugs on my Massey-Harris 44 GS as the poor man's winter studs and did notice quite an improvement in the grip on ice but that's based on only driving it on a long, pretty flat driveway a few times-dunno how long they might hold up or if they'll end up chunking out the tread. I looked up an outfit online that makes replacement seat cushions for the 530 for about $90 each-that seemed too high to cheap old me so I tied a couple of old Shopko kitchen chair cushions onto mine and just cover them with garbage bags so they don't get soggy when it rains. Working well so far, I figure I can use that extra $180 to replace the tie rod ends and the 11 gallons of gear lube. My mechanic says he generally recommends the same weight fluids that the owner's manual does and that virtually all fluids made today, even the cheaper ones, are of higher quality than the premium ones of 50 years back. On the engine oil he recommends Delo 15-40 in a machine as worn as mine is even though it makes for slightly harder winter starting. Talked to the local Case ag guy and of course he wants to sell me genuine Case parts and Case Hy-Tran hydraulic fluid-the quote for the rebuild kits on just the swing cylinders using genuine Case parts was right at $200-! I went with equipmentpartssource and got all 12 kits for ~ $350 delivered. My mechanic recommended that I not waste the $$$ for the HyTran until the cylinders were all done-he said use the cheap stuff until you get most of the crud flushed out of the system at least [several of the cylinders we did have had globs of silcone, pieces of packing, Teflon tape and O-rings in 'em]. He DOES say that it's a good idea to change the hydraulic fluid and filter at least every other year even if not used much as water contamination will degrade performance and cause rust spots in the system. If I can get 500 hours of decent work out of this old beast [after I get the rest of the cylinders finished and replace the worst 6 hoses] without having to pump much more $$$ into her I'll figure she's paid for herself handsomely. We'll see at that point if it's worth spending another $850 on a major rebuild kit and tearing it all apart again to pull the engine and rebuild it. I suppose if I end up doing THAT she'll be able to go another 3000 or more hours, but I probably won't live long enough to use her that much... I'm figuring I have right at 5 grand into her at this point including all the parts, fluids, tires, transport [$700] and farmed out labor. If I can talk mechanic into building me a thumb for the hoe in exchange for using the machine to do his basement and septic system I think it will add a lot to the overall usefulness. We have a LOT of rocks in this part of the country- Regarding your question on the buckets-I have no clue. Mine is a 24" and I'd love to get a 12" to go with this one as I have a few waterlines to dig [4' deep here in NW MT]. Mechanic thinks I ought to be able to find one for $100-I think he's not in touch with current real-world inflation...[-:] Good luck with yours!
Another new owner of a Case 530. There doesn't seem to be a lot of response about them on the BBs. Mine is in pretty fair shape, mostly leaky seals. Mine is a utility, so 3pt on the back. I have a Case D 130 that I am planning to connect some time soon. I have replaced all the fluids and filters, except the power steering. I think I will wait a wee while and do the cylinders at the same time. I am in the midst of replacing the front pump due to a leaky seal. The PO had been inside the thing and pooched it. So I am waiting for the brown truck to get here. I am also waiting for a leveling box. Looks like one from a Massey 245 will work. I'll know next week. I put on some new 14.9 R-1 tires last week.
on the money........sorry that I did not see your earlier post, or I would have replied. I have a ton of pics and description of the restoration process on my old 580CK, which may be of some help to you also. Regarding a seat, your rig may have the same set-up as my 580CK. The seat was pretty shot, and I ordered a great replacement from Tractor Stuff (Dale), for around $100. It fit perfectly onto the original spring-loaded column. It had 4 holes for the 4 screws, and the holes matched perfectly. Heres a pic of the new seat: Good luck with your 530.