Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 530 CK won’t start

smittydog ยท 2013-05-02 11:05

Hello all... I inherited my fathers projects One of which is a Case 530 CK with 188 diesel engine. Dad had the injectors out about three years ago and never put them back in. He was also correcting valve timing. (note, the injector openings were left open-but the cover and a rubber mat were over the engine, so moisture could have made the rings stuck on the pistons) So, this past few weeks, I have been going to farm and working on it. Had the starter rebuilt, replaced the solenoid and ran new wiring where needed, also replaced the ignition switch. We verified the correct valve settings (per case manual), put the injectors back in with new seals, also blew out the fuel lines and put new fuel filter on. I bled the fuel line at the injector pump. We get fuel flow to that point. Now, with new battery and battery charger/starter, we are able to crank the engine over, but no luck. Very small, small puff of smoke, at one point acts like it wants to start, but no dice. We are using either (I know, it will blow a hole in the block if overused). My dad put in a small oil cup in the intake for just such cold weather starts, that you squirt the either in. His idea, not mine, but it has worked in the past. Now, two things I didn't do...check compression and pull the injectors to verify that the fuel is going into cylinders ( I didn't have one). I now have a compression tester and adapter for 188 engine (long tube insert) so I can test compression in it this weekend. At that time I will also be able to check for fuel coming out of the injectors. I would think that even if it was not getting fuel, it would have started briefly from the either. Correct? By the engine NOT developing compression, the engine can't start. So I am thinking that the rings are stuck or seated to the pistons? (since my dad never put anything in the injector holes for three years and moisture probably crept in and rusted the rings to the pistons) I also want to spray in some SeaFoam Deep Creep or manifold cleaner to see if it will free the rings. New to this diesel thing, but I got our Case 450 bulldozer going this past winter. (it also has the same engine, a 188 diesel). Am I on the right track? Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance Steve

Replies4
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-05-02 18:36

    I would check the compression before trying to start so you know what you are dealing with, they had a cranking compression around 400 psi and running at 480. Did you recheck the stop lever to make sure it's home, how bad was the engine running before the wanting to adjust valves and pull injectors, have you ever been in the engine or head?

  2. #2thepumpguysc2013-05-02 20:44

    JUST WHAT I LIKE>>A NEWBIE>>...With the right freekin' tools.. Since you have a compression tester W/ the correct adaptors..Pull the injectors back out>>DISABLE the injection pump from "squirting fuel" [pull the shut off cable] and check the compression IN EACH CYLINDER..DRY..you'll know what I mean in a minute.. NEXT..SQUIRT about 3-5 pumps of regular oil into the cylinder your going to check..you know your Dad has [or had] a little squirt can, some where.. and RE-CHECK the compression.. IF ITS "WAY HIGHER" than the previos reading [dry, with out oil]..the rings are shot.. Good luck and let us know if you need more help..TPG

  3. #3mapleridge2013-05-03 22:12

    I have two 530's. One only starts when pulled or rolled down a hill which makes me suspect the pump. Once started, runs like a top. Other starts easy with the starer. So it may be worth pulling it.

  4. #4Mudpile2013-05-04 20:44

    Might be checking the pump out again if it were mine. That's a long time for a pump to sit. Fuel should squirt out of the injector lines while cranking. Not just a dribble either. Try connecting an injector to a line, upside down and see how it sprays, use a face shield and gloves.