Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 530 Mod 31 backhoe swing problem(s)

oldgoat1 · 2017-07-31 11:22

Hello all, first timer here on site as well as backhoe owner. I have a Case 530 w/mod 31 backhoe, sn# 4071877 that will swing Right, but not back to the left, seated and looking at boom. I have read other postings of leaning the backhoe with stabilizer and trying to swing it that way. Did not work for me. LOL. Had front seal leaking on left swing cylinder, seated and looking at the boom arm, and had it rebuilt, but still no swing to the left. It will swing HARD AND FAST to the right. I have an old CASE parts manual which shows my Hydraulic Control Valve, # D27563. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Replies14
  1. #1Juskatla2017-07-31 11:56

    Can you swap the swing cylinder hoses and see if the problem follows the cylinder or the valve? Might be grasping at straws but may help to isolate the issue.

  2. #2oldgoat12017-07-31 15:04

    great thought. Don't know much about this stuff. Will try this. A question, there is 2 swing cylinders on my backhoe, does the one on the left make the boom travel to the right and visa-versa??? again thanks.

  3. #3Juskatla2017-07-31 15:27

    The one on the right facing the rear of the machine will push the hoe to the left and the one on the left pushes to the right. When you swing the hoe back they work opposite. These are double acting cylinders with oil on both sides of the piston. Mine is a model 33 backhoe but I think the principles are the same. Getting the hoses off may be a challenge. Be sure to mark them so you get them back to the right place on the valve. I have a special crow foot wrench to remove and replace the hoses on the control valve. Hopefully, somebody that knows t=your machine will chime in with a solution.

  4. #4oldgoat12017-07-31 15:42

    Thanks for your thoughts. If you were having this problem, would you first pull the cylinder or check the control valve. I tried to split the cylinder tube from the end cap or gland on the one leaking. Could not budge it! is there a secret to the procedure? lol. The control valve seems complicated. would I have to completely remove the control valve assembly from machine or just pull the swing valve? a lot of questions for this beginner. this is a nice machine and trying to keep her alive. thanks again.

  5. #5Delmer2017-07-31 16:14

    with two double acting cylinders I can't see how a cylinder issue would cause it not swing one way, UNLESS the piston had popped off the rod on one side, allowing it to bypass one direction only. but that would be the left cylinder and they would have noticed that when rebuilding it. First thing I'd check is that the valve spool moves the same amount as the rest of them when you try to swing left. Look at the actual valve and the spool that moves in and out and compare it to the other spools. Also, if you have no history of this machine, is it possible the hoses are hooked up wrong? the front of one should be hooked to the rear of the other.

  6. #6Juskatla2017-07-31 19:33

    Delmer brought up a real possibility. I don't suggest that you remove or disassemble any part of the control valve until you have a manual and are confident of what you are undertaking. They are complicated although it is possible to replace seals in an individual section. The gland will likely have a set screw that you need to find and remove before you can unscrew it. Check carefully around the outside of the tube near the end. On mine, I had a bent rod that caused the leaks and we sent it out to be rebuilt with a new rod and all the packings and seals. Take your time and try to determine what the cause is before tearing too much apart.

  7. #7oldgoat12017-08-01 10:47

    Thanks for all the help with this. I was checking the spools travel on for the swing. It is nothing like all the rest. there must be something lodged and jamming the movement. I have a shop manual and have found the section for disassembling spool. The manual is showing each valve section. I am going to study the manual and see if I can remove the spool from just the swing valve assembly with removing the whole unit from backhoe. Like I said, I will be studying the manual and see if I feel like I can do this. Not scared, but really don't want to screw more up than already is. looking at the manual, did not seem like a lot which could jam the spool? But we are going to see real soon, I think. Again thanks to all with this. this is a great forum with some outstanding CASE people.

  8. #8Billrog2017-08-01 12:08

    If it's a ft. peddle swing is there something stuck under the peddle ?

  9. #9Delmer2017-08-01 12:47

    First take the linkage off the spool to see if the linkage is moving free, or jammed somehow. The see if the spool will move without the linkage attached. If that fails, take the bottom cover off that spool on the valve bank, CAREFULLY, there might be springs loose in there, by design or by accident. If you don't see anything obvious wrong, then take apart the one next to it to compare. Still nothing wrong, take that stuff off the bottom end and the spool SHOULD pull out the other end. "SHOULD" because it won't if that's the problem.

  10. #10oldgoat12017-08-01 13:15

    Thanks Delmer! Love the way you think! LOL CAREFULLY is an understatement. I'll try the linkage and if not that, then I'll take the cap holding the spool off. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

  11. #11oldgoat12017-08-02 10:06

    FIXED! I would like to thanks all who answered my question and all had great thoughts on my problem which I studied each. First, let me say “you get what you pay for”! I purchased my backhoe in my price range to be used on my small farm only. The person I purchased from only had machine a couple of weeks and became scared of it. (I can see why now, LOL). It had a blown hydraulic swing hose. So could not check that out when burying it. Fixed that and still only would swing to the left. She had other problems as one would expect and been working on them when I got frustrated with the swing issue. Well, enough on my history with this machine. My swing issue was due to some jack-leg had removed the bottom spool cap on control valve body and for some reason and did not tighten the spool retaining bolt all the way. This made the spool only work in one direction. When I removed the bottom cap off the valve bank as Delmer suggested, and I will thank him again for saying “CAREFULLY”, I found the problem. The retaining bolt was rusted halfway up the bolt. I mean really rusted. This told me the Boom Swing system had not worked correctly in YEARS ! I see now why she was passed around. I cleaned and tightened the bolt and spring, did not remove anything else, replaced cap and fired up the old gal. It was great! Boom would swing left and right. I think she has found a home now. Cleaned my hands and took a good drink in salute to the group. Thanks again to all and especially Delmer for his suggestion. I’m sure I’ll be back asking something else and hope to be able to give advice to others.

  12. #12Juskatla2017-08-02 13:06

    That's good news. These are relatively simple machines and within the scope of owners like us to maintain and repair, with the continuing support from the many experienced and knowledgable guys like Delmer that offer suggestions for repairs. A manul is invaluable and if you don't have one, a paper copy will let you read up on the various parts and see how they should operate. Soon, you can join the select group of owners that can fix their own stuff. Its a great feeling to diagnose something and apply the correct fix.

  13. #13Tinkerer2017-08-02 15:48

    Nice to read that you found the problem oldgoat. I found a website that you can download the service manual for your 530 for free. I had to combine the multiple files with Adobe Acrobat and then used the same program to rotate the pages. For some strange reason all the downloaded files need rotating. There is a ton of information for you there. ---> http://home.microtech.com/mikef/530CK/manuals.php

  14. #14oldgoat12017-08-03 07:12

    Man, GREAT SITE! Thanks Tinkerer. The help and knowledge this group has is fantastic. Everyone tries to assist with and brainstorm problems. I really appreciate being a member of this group. Again, thanks.