Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 530ck backhoe power steering Issue new pump

tarmop · 2023-04-27 20:32

Hello Fellow explorers. I have a case 530ck that I have rebuilt. almost finished. I rebuilt the steering cylinders (its the style with one for each wheel) and was getting steering but not good steering. so I replaced the pump and same issue. The wheels turn easily an perfectly by turning the steering wheel when the they are off the ground with the loader lifting the front end and the tractor running. but.... when they are on the ground with the weight on them the act funny. they will turn well to the left but when I try and turn to the right I have to turn the wheel ALOT to get the steering activated. usually it will :catch ' after I spin the wheel a full revolution without them turning. again works better one way than the other.. wondering if anyone already has the answer, I mean I assume its either in the manual pump at the steering wheel or in the control valve, just want to know where to start and what to look for Many thanks in advance T This is a pic of my system except mine has send and return from each cylinder (2 way or dual acting cylinders)

Replies8
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-04-27 21:43

    If your tractor has dual acting steering cylinders, you have hydrostatic power steering. Did you bleed the air out of the system exactly the way the service manual says ? You entirely different set-up. Nothing like the one in your picture. You would find all you need to know from the 580CK service manual

  2. #2tarmop2023-04-27 23:57

    ok thanks ill look in that service manual, mine is a 530ck but my steering is exactly like you pictured. Im pretty sure the air was all bled out and the steering works fine with no weight on the wheels.. thanks for the reply

  3. #3tarmop2023-05-02 08:58

    Still Have the problem. Seems the steering wheel manual hand pump is loosing prime. I can prime it with the lines going to the pump in a jug of oil and gets stiff but once hooked up to the system it looses prime quickly. I have no external leaks, new cylinders and new ps pump. . wondering if the check valve in the valve is open and if that would cause the prob. took apart the valve and looks good. seems like most problems from hand pump are external leaks which mine doesnt have. or orbital not working but mine works when primed from a jug. Any ideas?

  4. #4Abseim2023-05-02 10:13

    I have a 480ck with identical steering. I recently took off my power steering pump to change the filter and flush the chocolate milk looking fluid from the system. I also disconnected the cylinder hoses with the front tires off the ground and moved the cylinders back and forth and turned the steering back and forth until no more fluid was dripping out. After all the fluid was out, the steering wheel would spin either direction without any resistance. After reassembly, I filled the PS reservoir, and cranked the engine till the level dropped, added more fluid, turned the wheel back and forth, added more fluid, started the engine and idled, adding more fluid and turning the steering wheel back and forth. It wasn't til like the 4th fill I even began to feel any resistance in the wheel and then began to turn back and forth to it's limits and the fluid level stopped dropping. All that to say, I'm pretty sure my system was totally bled out, and it seems like the refill process totally removed the air, I could see the bubbles coming out in the reservoir, sometimes even blasting some fluid out until I realized I shouldn't fill to the top of reservoir. Also, it's just crazy that every single fluid in this damn machine looks like some sort of chocolate or dairy product... The engine oil was a half melted hot fudge sundae, the trans gear oil is heavy cream, hydraulic looks like half and half... Ugggg At least the coolant is still a nice clear green!

  5. #5wgraz142025-04-03 20:57

    Hi tarmop, I'd really appreciate it if you could help. I think I've got the same issue that you had on my 530ck. Wheel turns hard to the left, but it turns and so do the wheels. Have to turn the wheel about twenty times to the right to get the wheels to go that way, and even when the wheels turn to the right, I can push them back to the left with my hands when they're off the ground. I replaced the pump. No help. My next idea is the steering control valve. What worked for you? Thanks for your help.

  6. #6tarmop2025-04-03 21:20

    Hey there. Ended up being the new packings in the steering cylinders were no good So I bought aftermarket cylinders One of em leaked internally out of the box. Wasn’t untill I got different packing’s for my original cylinders that everything started working properly I’ve since sold the machine. Hope this helps. Good luck.

  7. #7tarmop2025-04-03 21:23

    Try switching cylinders Left one to the right side etc and see if the problem reverses. Then you could isolate weather it’s the cylinder or the steering valve causing the problem. ?

  8. #8wgraz142025-04-03 21:27

    tarmop! Cannot tell you how much I appreciate your replies. That's exactly what I'll do. Switch the cylinders. Don't know how soon I can get to this, but I'll let you know how it works. Again, many thanks for your reply. -Bill