The Beast came with an ignition key. It does not fit any of the other locks: doors, engine side covers, fuel cap. I doubt that this is the original ignition switch or original key as I've found a couple of other keys in my collection that will fit the ignition and start the beast. I realize this is not a major concern for most, nevertheless... There are a lot of keys available on eBay and Amazon. but heck I have no idea which ones to consider, hence my questions: What keys open what locks? How would you go about getting the right keys? (Locksmith perhaps? Take the lock mechanism and have them make new keys? I guess I'm just looking for some pointers. Thanks a bunch. R
Is there a number etched into the lock by the keyhole? A locksmith should be able to help if there is.
There might be one on the inside, but I haven't noticed any markings on the exposed surfaces. I'll take a closer look tomorrow if it's not freakin' raining again....
I'll guess that the ignition has been replaced, but it could have been different from the start? If the same pattern fits all the other locks, then the cheapest will be taking a lock into them and getting a couple keys to fit. Unless they like to do house calls, I don't know? In any case they'll pick the lock and make a key based on the insides, or they might have a tool to id the key from the pins without removing the lock at all if they're high tech and have a the key machine to make keys from scratch without copying. That's assuming you don't come up with any codes that will do it.
The locksmith is probably the easiest route for the doors and engine side covers since replacement parts seem a bit scarce. The ignition switch is a bit confusing. I can find this one -85804674 but the parts manual footnote states "ASN 31009911 Cab." (After Serial Number?) and mine is 31003413. So not sure if it will work. Having no luck finding 85801522 which is BSN 31009910. Nothing urgent, but on my radar . Especially the ignition switch, which is sloppy. Thanks Delmer.
I didn't realize you wanted to replace the ignition switch. Most ignition switches on heavy equipment are a joke, one key will start most Cats, another will start most JD etc. So basically there are not OEM secure ignition switches. You could find one if you look hard enough. Typically they are fairly interchangeable, some JD use a switched to ground terminal to "light up" the gauge module, but otherwise, unless it has glowplugs, it could use most any ignition switch that has acc, run and start terminals. Take a look at the cylinders for the door and other covers, if you can order new cylinders, that will be cheaper than a locksmith. And maybe easier depending on how much of a hassle they are.
A lot of tractors have common keys. Try looking at the parts in the manual.
I kinda thought that just from looking at the search results...I mean"Who's gonna want to steal/start a piece of heavy equipment?" So security is not the key (see what I did there), but making sure all the lights that need to light up when you do turn on the ignition is/are more important. Then, find a different way to secure your equipment other than thru the ignition is a better direction. Yep. I am finding out more and more by the day. The manuals that I received from a member here have helped me a great deal -- functions, identification. part numbers --- and of course searching thru the posts on this forum as well. Luv this stuff. It's all new to me. Thanks for your responses. R