I'm about to buy a Case 530CK that has a hydraulic issue that seems to be in nice shape except, when you raise machine using the hoe (somewhat higher than where the machine sits upon the stabilizers) it will rise up but settle back down the moment you release pressure on the control lever. It does not sink all the way down, just settles to the height of the stabilizers. My first inclination is to think the cylinder needs attention but a friend suggested that the valve body could be "shot". Another guy says "lazy relief valve". The hoe is old but is a "one-owner" machine with about 3500 hours on the clock. It has never been abused and seems tight and "normal" in all respects. The valve was rebuilt by the owner about ten years ago. I'm very interested in the machine because it is light weight and, for a BH, "nimble", if you know what I mean. Anyone have an idea what might cause this? I'm a small farmer and while at $5500 the machine seems fairly priced, I can't afford a major issue, either.
I'm afraid it's one of those three possiblilities. No way to tell without disconnecting hydraulic lines at least. That doesn't seem to indicate a major issue for a machine that old. Worst would be a cracked valve body, if the valve body is worn you can probably live with it. Did you check over the cylinder in question thoroughly? Any signs of attempted repairs, or bulging/cracking paint?
The cylinder looks fine. A little seepage but nothing to get in a twist about. I don't think the valve body is cracked - there isn't any build-up of oil residue and dirt like you see on machines that have leaked for a long while. The machine is, truly, very clean and well-kept. There is not exterior evidence that it has been treated poorly. The owner's story checks out, too (a friend of mine is a counter-man at the Case/NH dealership in town).