Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Installing backhoe bucket tooth retainer pins

herc983 ยท 2013-06-30 15:40

Looking for tips on installing the tooth retainer pins for a type 23 or 230 shank tooth. The pins are the 2 strips of metal bonded together with rubber and inserted horizontally thru the tooth/shank. How can you get new retainers started in the hole, I can get used pins to start but putting new pins in anyplace but the 2 outside teeth is a terrible job. Thanks for the help

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2013-06-30 16:15

    I can't remember having that problem, but maybe my teeth are farther apart? Maybe use a big channel lock pliers? or a "Gorrilla Bar" laid flat on the teeth with the claw down and hit the bar.

  2. #2bowen2013-06-30 16:47

    Look at this... http://www.colemanequip.com/parts/CaseParts/ZJG23BF/155 They was selling a set of 5 bucket teeth that included the pins AND some tool similar to this one for $60.

  3. #3Tinkerer2013-06-30 17:14

    This is how a Pin-Master Flex Pin Tool works.

  4. #4LT-x72013-06-30 17:56

    I squeeze the retainers tight with vise grips then smack them with a hammer. For the inside teeth after I get them started I put a pry bar up against the retainer then smack that.