I have a 1966 case 530ck backhoe I bought about 1 1/2 year ago, last week I was out at my property hoeing around, getting rid of a bunch of scrub brush everything was going fine, then it stalled out. I thought I might have run it out of gas, I checked, it still had fuel, I went to restart and got "click", I recently put a new battery in ( 2 days prior) so I thought I may have generator issues ( I didn't realize I needed to polarize the system), no big deal, jump it and move on with life, hooked it up to no avail, just "click". now I got serious, brought a tester to the property checked the battery, 12.6, good, checked it at the starter, again 12.6, pulled the starter off and bench tested, worked but not great and smelly, took the starter in and had it rebuilt, rehooked it up, brought a battery charger with me to make sure I had plenty of power, hooked it all up, at this point I even changed out the ground wire and ran it to the starter housing just to satisfy my OCD, and "click", Now for a side note, when I first got the click ( my hoe doent have a key, I have a jumper wire and a srew driver at the ignition switch) I clicked it a few times and the motor rolled over what I would say 1/4 rotation ( was relieved thinking the motor wasnt siezed), My question being, where do I go from here? I relieved tension on the fan belt thinking if the generator or water pump was seized this would take them out of play, but I noticed the hydraulic pump is hooked up direct, I guess I want to make sure the motor does turn over, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I also forgot to note that because of my ignition switch debacle, I also tried starting at the starter, thus bypassing anything in the background Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
I am not sure if your machine is setup this way. Some of the Case hoes had quick connects at the rear of the tractor so the hoe could be removed. The hyd hoses had to be jumpered together as this line came directly from the pump. Hard to believe it would have come unhooked though.
Do you have access to a clamp-on ammeter that goes over the positive battery cable when engaging the starter ? If the starter shows a high amp draw it may indicate a seized hydraulic pump. Or, the starter even though it has been rebuilt may need to be checked again by a competent starter rebuilder.
What's clicking? Is the starter solenoid clicking, or is the starter attempting to turn the engine over but getting stuck? If it seems stuck I guess you could try barring the engine over by hand. If it's the solenoid, try jumping from battery directly to the solenoid and forget the sketchy wiring to the dash.