Case 680E the hydraulic cylinders to the backhoe are helded on with c clips with out the holes very heavy duty just broke a set of inside clip pliers. how do you get them off? If i break them whats a better way to hold them on or is the c clpis the only way?
They make flat pliers for clip rings. Maybe try searching transmission clip pliers. If those dont work use a carbide burr
Yea I used the flat pliers for the clip rings but ended up just bending the tips of the pliers before I was able to get the rings off.
So, You got them off ? Case used some of the stiffest C clips I have ever removed. I finally found pair of snap ring pliers that handles them with ease. I cannot get to my shop to see what brand and model they are but I will post back as soon as I can get there.
No still haven’t gotten my pliers broke. So I have to buy a new pair Ok thank you When you get the brand I’ll buy them
I am laid up with a sore back tonight. I will try and get the brand name and model # tomorrow.
No rush I ended up prying one side off and spinning it around to get it off . So I can rebuilt the cylinder. Not looking forward to get the clip back on
https://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-8...rd_wg=Z5Jpa&psc=1&refRID=S1G3W40V3HA7HFMNVWCG I have these for big rings. They work well and you don't have to try and hold a pair of pliers squeezed while fumbling around trying to get the ring in the groove.
Never had to work on a Case cylinder but the biggest set of snap-ring pliers for "no hole" rings I have are these: https://store.snapon.com/Snap-Ring-Pliers-Pliers-Snap-Ring-90-Angle-Jaws-14-long-P635949.aspx Measure about 14 inches over all.
WOW.. gtermini.. NOW THATS a snap ring puller.. NICE.. For 72.00 they better throw in free shipping.. LOL LANG has some good tools.. They have the FORD Tractor compression tester adaptor, that everyone is looking for..54.00 Bigrich>> that's how I've seen it done too.. get 1 side loose & walk it around w/ screwdrivers.. More than 1 way to skin a hydro cylinder..lol
Just a suggestion if you don't want to buy the tool. I used a large C clamp to hold the C clip against the pin. Then use a hammer and screwdriver to get the clip started onto the pin. Since the pin is slightly beveled at the end, this helps the clip to spread out. It takes a few tries to get the hang of it but once you do a few of them, it becomes easy.
My go-to snap-ring pliers is a Proto # 375. It is convertible for internal or external snap-rings. Proto has several different pliers with different pin configurations on them. I tried a couple of different brands that come with a package of different size pins and they just don't have the strength of the Proto's.