Hello folks, I have a 1990 Case 550 dozer. At the back are, what I am told, two planetary gear housings, one one either side, near the tracks. It's a round casing with flanges where bolts hold it to the dozer body. The right housing developed cracks. My friend tried to weld it together but because it is cast iron it won't weld. So I'm looking for a replacement, new or used. I've called a couple of jobbers nearby but they don't have anything. Any thoughts on where I could get a replacement part? Any old dozer graveyards nearby? I'm near Ottawa, Canada and I've looked as far as Toronto but nothing so far. I'm so desperate I plan on calling the local Case dealer to see if they hae the part in stock! Any and all advice is appreciated.
if you have the part number look on machinery trader
I've never seen a final drive housing crack that way! Are the bolts still in place at the front of the housing? There are two different housings available 64" & 53" gauge - make sure you look for the correct one. (measure centre of track chain to centre of track chain - across machine) The 64" is common the the 450C / 455C If you attempted to weld that without dismantling ....... that's NOT how it should be done - the bearing bores will have been affected & lost preload causing shaft movement & possible gear tooth damage - especially if you tried to operate the machine like this!