Would like to know the transmission testing process and pressured if anybody could help
Attached the full T&A. If you want the Power Train SysOp document as well please ask.
Yessir I would like that as well if you don’t mind
No problem. Here it is.
Thank you again if I have any more questions I will let you know
you wouldn't have a service manual pdf would you?
I'm sorry I don't. Generally Service Manuals are available in paper form or as a CD loaded with the relevant pdf files. The one for your tractor is Caterpillar reference SENR3250. I don't see anything used up for sale at the moment. A new manual is $640 on CD or $915 in paper form. https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=8RJ04191
Nige, are you familiar with service manuals available online (eBay) which are sold as a "Repair manual in USB"? They sell for a little under $60. I am not very tech savvy, do you think that would that be a thumb drive or something? I have a Cat D5H , 8RJ04783 . Thanks
I guess it would be on something like a thumb drive. What exactly are you looking for.? A complete manual that covers specifications, testing, adjusting, disassembly/assembly OR something more limited that covers periodic maintenance & operation.? If it's the second option then you want an Operation & Maintenance Manual not a Service Manual. I've heard a couple of stories posted here on HEF regarding the "repair manuals on USB", usually sold on eBay out of Eastern Europe. IIRC one was that the "repair manual" was nothing more than a scanned copy of a Cat O&M Manual that you can buy from Cat for $49, the other was that again it was a scanned copy of the larger service/repair manual but either it was incomplete or large parts of it did not apply to the machine in question. You have to ask yourself how it is that someone can sell something for $60 when the retail price is North of $600.? The "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is" applies here I think. The correct service manual for your D5H is Cat Publication SENR3250. That manual retails new at $915 in paper form or $640 on a CD.
Thank you, this is why I asked here because it does sound too good to be legitimate. I did send an email to them for more information before I posted the question on this forum. This is what the site says about it though: (copied and pasted) Caterpillar CAT d5h xl Track-type Tractor 8rj Service Repair Manual in USB PLEASE NOTE: This is a pdf file on a USB Flash Drive. This is not a paper manual. If you want a paper manual just print the manual from the USB Flash Drive. Message us machine's serial number to get the right repair manual. This service manual provides detailed service information. Step by step instructions. Manual contains: - disassembly and assembly - operation and maintenance manual - schematics - specifications - systems operation - testing and adjusting - troubleshooting Language: English Format: PDF Zoom IN/OUT: YES COMPATIBILITY: All Versions of Windows & Mac
On the face of it what they are advertising is what you want. Only you can decide whether you want to take a punt on it or not. I just wish I could locate the post where someone posted a comment along the lines of "it was a scanned copy of the service/repair manual but either it was incomplete or large parts of it did not apply to the machine in question".
Just for sh1ts & giggles I had a look at the eBay item. The seller is based in Lithuania, they have no less than 1333 different manuals up for sale in their eBay shop and yet they only have 19 customer reviews. That smells like week-old fish to me.
Yes I see what you are saying. Thanks for taking a look at it.
I know it’s not a manual but for now all the information you need to understand the operation and testing of the steering & brakes on your D5H is contained in the attachments in Posts #2 & #4 above.
Thank you, this has been very helpful! One thing this verifies is that I have a power shift transmission. Previously I saw the terms power shift and direct drive; I didn't know exactly what the difference was. Based upon what I'm seeing in those documents, and what my machine is doing, it appears that I will need new brake discs. Unrelated information I think, supposedly the transmission pump was replaced on my machine a few hundred hours ago, which was before I bought it. Other issues that seem to match my experience with this dozer so far it seems I may have a torque converter issue too. It seems to transmit power well but there is a notable metallic clunking when removing drivetrain pressure, in other words when I have pressure on a tree to uproot it and decelerate and place the transmission in neutral, there is a loud clunk. Back to square one, I need to purchase a manual.
At some point in time you are also going to need a Parts Manual. Here is one on eBay for $50 + S&H. New price in paper form is $146. https://www.ebay.com/itm/143247421676 EDIT: and here's a Service Manual - https://www.ebay.com/itm/323165176491
You are right, I will check that out too. Thanks