Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 550E Track Engagement Questions

Frisbee650 ยท 2023-07-18 11:32

I have a fairly new to me early 90's Case 550E that has less than 3,000 hours on it. When I put the left track speed lever in high I have neutral, this is in both forward and reverse. When you put the left lever in high the transmission pressure gauge goes full red on the left side of the gauge which I assume is low pressure. The gauge remains in the green with either lever in all other positions. The left lever works in low, and the right works in both low and high. It started acting weird a while ago and when it first started acting up there was a loud screech a couple of times. I am new enough to the machine and bulldozers altogether and it actually took me a while to narrow down exactly what was happening. When I say a while, I mean probably less than an hour of operation over several weeks, I have been playing with it and learning the machine and figured out that it was low on transmission fluid. I added a few quarts last night to bring it up to full and drove it a little, hoping, but know that this probably wouldn't fix it. Can anyone give me an idea in which direction to look. I appreciate any help, thank you in advance. I live on 40 timbered acres on the side of the mountain and this machine is strictly for personal use and will be used sparingly.

Replies7
  1. #1Drag racer2023-07-18 22:20

    They will be wanting a serial # to respond.

  2. #2gggraham2023-07-19 16:03

    High range clutch has either bad piston seals, or the seal rings on the shaft are bad or I've seen those pressed drums with the reinforcement ring welded on crack and split open so the clutch will not engage. Make sure the spool at the control valve is fully stroked in both directions.

  3. #3Frisbee6502023-07-19 17:13

    Appreciate the response. What information does the serial number provide?

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-07-19 22:18

    There could be differences during manufacturing and a serial number provides accurate info for your specific machine.

  5. #5gggraham2023-07-20 08:56

    There were 2 different transmission valve set ups on the 550E there is a serial number break.

  6. #6Frisbee6502023-07-20 12:35

    The serial number is JAK0014860

  7. #7gggraham2023-07-20 13:34

    JAK is the cab/rops serial # the dozer should start JJG. But the problem you have makes no difference in serial number. The inner transmission gears, clutches are all the same.