Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 550G-open or closed center hydraulics?

Evening Digger ยท 2020-11-18 14:11

I'm looking to add an auxiliary valve to my 550G so control a tree bedder that I'd like to pull. It looks like I can remove the two threaded plugs from the end of the hydraulic valve stack and add my valve onto there. Has anyone done this? Can anyone tell me if this is a closed center or open center system? I think with this information I'll be able to go forward. Thanks in advance

Replies8
  1. #1Welder Dave2020-11-18 16:44

    Open center and dozer looks to be 17 GPM.

  2. #2John C.2020-11-18 19:39

    Do you already have the valve for the tree bedder? Most of that stuff is run power beyond so you will need to have the schematic for what is currently in the machine in order see what works and what won't.

  3. #3Evening Digger2020-11-18 21:02

    Thanks for the info. I don't have a valve for the bedder. The bedder is a simple double acting cylinder to raise and lower. Anything wrong with using this valve? https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200737667_200737667?isSearch=68301-2153

  4. #4John C.2020-11-18 22:37

    Thats a D03 valve that apparently you can get in 3/8" ports. What you will need to know is if it can handle the flow off the existing pump. If you have 1/2" ports off your dozer valve, you might be causing your self some issues. I don't see the hydraulic schematic for that valve on the web page do I can't tell if it will run in a power beyond circuit either.

  5. #5Welder Dave2020-11-19 00:13

    You could check if your local Deere dealer has access to used parts. Might be able to find a wrecked machine that had a 4 in 1 bucket or ripper control fitted. Parts on Machinery Trader may be another option if you can get a part number for an aux. valve.

  6. #6Evening Digger2020-11-19 07:42

    Welder Dave it's a Case, and I'll explore the used route as well thanks. John C. help me learn something- what about one of these valves would make it not suitable for power beyond? I've seen the schematic in the printed catalog but I don't know how to find/link to it.

  7. #7John C.2020-11-19 14:23

    Its because all the flow would go through that valve and then back to tank. That's why you have to make sure the auxiliary valve will take all the flow with little resistance. My nomograph shows 17 gallons a minute through a 3/8" line puts the velocity at over 30 feet per second. Maximum recommended velocity for that flow is 20 feet per second. I believe you can get that valve in different flow paths as well. That's why I asked about a schematic. Here is a video that explains power beyond. https://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/powerbeyond.html

  8. #8Welder Dave2020-11-19 14:44

    I missed the Case part, oops. It's open center and 18.6 GPM. They were fairly popular up here so may find used. I had a JD 355D loader with a 3rd valve but it wasn't hooked up to anything. I'm not sure if it came from the factory that way or not. The valve was there but no linkage or even a mounting spot for the control lever. I thought it might be that way so a ripper or something could be easily added.