Caterpillar D9N Serial # 1JD00961 #1 How can I obtain any records of it history ? #2 For those who operated or took care of these N series machines back in the day......Good , Bad and ugly opinions ? #3 If the machine seems to be in good to very good condition what do you think fair market value is today ? Thanks for your input
I don't know about the 9N, but I bought a used D8N back in 1992 for my employer. It has been a very good machine. It is used to rip and push clay and shale in a pit, and has been in constant use since I purchased it. I noticed they are still using it and have been told it has been a very dependable and low cost machine. It is now about 20 years old.
I'd give up my first born b4 my 8N.
Old machine by today's standards. Value is based on condition and condition is everything. Generally, they are worth the amount of running life the undercarriage has left. On Machinery Trader retail asking average is $105,433. Auction average is $42,059.
Thanks guys for your input...................Keep them coming !
#2 I ran a 9n back when they were new. It was certainly reliable and effective. My first foray into using 4 barrel rippers.
Here are some photos of the machine I am considering.
Whats it cost a mile in E TX to haul big boy to the job and back? Whats the pictured Cat weigh? Do they transport it with the blade on?
My other D9H I owned cost around $1,200 for a in county move. We have several oil field companies here local with 5 axles and yearly over width and over weight permits so cost per move is not that big of deal. If I buy the machine, it will cost around 12K to ship it here. the machine weighs around 95K Lbs . I have quotes for blade on and off. I am currently in the middle of a lake repair job and when I am finished I will drive up to Minnesota to check the machine out in person.
I forgot to mention all of my jobs are private land owner jobs. I do not do any commercial work to speak of. The cost of move in and move out is included in all my bids. I may use a D9 dozer 1-4 times a year but they are so efficient in the amount of work I can do it pays off. From time to time I get offers to rent them out...............If I get good vibes from the potential renter I will rent it out provided I have access at anytime to monitor the dozers use . Rent for a D9 in our area is around $17,000-21,000 per month.
The last one I ran was in 2009. We had 3. By that time they had been relegated to backing up the 10's on dumps and special projects. I enjoyed running them. They were nimble and quick next to the 10's. When you get out of 10 and into a 9 there is a momentary proclivity to search for where the grass catcher hooks on. Hence the nimble and quick opinion. All 3 had been in the mine forever and had been rebuilt once or twice. They weren't pretty but they would get it done. I have had the pleasure of a nearly new 9T... that is God's own Dozer!
Rent it out with your own operator on it.? That way you’d have total control on how it was used and it would also be getting looked after daily, or at least I would hope so.
Thanks guys for your input, keep them coming .
I have a D9 that I use at least once a week.A D8 manages the job quite easily,but the D9 does it quicker if I need to be elsewhere doing other things.
You still have it I can buy it
That’s now sold in January! I have another older one though in the UK
I bet that D9 would be real nose heavy without a ripper.
Chidog you are exactly right. I ran the same exact tractor and an R set up the same. Yes very nose heavy. Would struggle to back up a slight slope. Ran others w rippers and counterweights that would back up same slopes and had a much better feel grading or pushing. I would definitely recommend at least adding some counterweights or a ripper if plumbed.
A D9R I worked on a couple of years ago without a ripper.Supplied with coal blade. I think any D9 supplied without a ripper these days would be special application only.