Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 550H Transmission

Ackerdiesel ยท 2015-11-29 13:50

If this isn't allowed here then an admin can delete. But could anyone give me a labor time to rebuild a 550H or do you just go by the hour whatever time it takes you? Thanks in advance!

Replies5
  1. #1GaryHoff2015-11-29 23:26

    Suggested repair time is approximately 45hrs. Includes removal and install of transmission.

  2. #2alrman2015-11-30 20:31

    To do a 550H tranny in 45hrs inc removal & refitting ...... you would need to be wearing your underpants on the outside like superman does.... Sorry Gary, those figures quoted in the "recommended service repair times" can often be a little unrealistic. In a perfect world with everything at your fingertips - without running around organizing parts & machine shops etc..... I doubt, not even then. You can battle for hours trying to undo & breaking seized bolts..... It may seem alot, but the average time it takes in the real world is between 100 - 120 hrs - inc convertor removal & refit which is mandatory on a FULL overhaul/repair. I charge per hour to to such a job - you could quote a good estimate once it was full pulled down & inspected, but if a customer wanted a fixed price from there, I would have to put a bit of fat on it - to be sure.

  3. #3Ackerdiesel2015-11-30 23:52

    Kinda a long story. I was mainly asking to give myself a baseline as I got machine apart and were having issues getting any of our local dealers to stop dragging their knuckles and give us a parts quote, So I'm trying to recover some of my time in the meantime. was wondering what a good baseline was or if I should just go by actual time. Relatively new machine so it came apart easily. No need for converter removal as it wasn't a clutch issue that caused contamination (oil control ring failed) clutches still look good but I want to play it safe and replace that side as per FSM

  4. #4GaryHoff2015-12-01 20:35

    I agree that the book times are usually too low. As a general rule of thumb for quotes, I take the book time and times it by 2, depending on the job. It seems that would leave a guy a little short on time still.

  5. #5Dickjr.2015-12-01 21:45

    From my experience witnessed an 850H trans rebuild the total cost was 12000. That included a 1500$ bearing kit. The machine is performing flawless since rebuild. The guy is from Elizabethtown KY that built it.