my friends 570lxt wont go into forward or reverse, the relays and solenoids seem to be working it acts like clutch is disengaged. this tractor sits for long periods between uses and according to him worked fine when he parked it. i dont have a manual for this tractor. where is the de-clutch solenoid located on the transmission? the relay seems to be workin but the tractor will not move at all. also there is a small solenoid mounted on the same valve body as the spin-on tranny filter that gets quite hot to the touch and has continuous power running to it. is this normal? what does this solenoid do? any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated
Welcome CODMECH. Problem you have is likely electrical. The solenoid you asked about is probably for 4WD, it must have power for 2WD operation. There is no de-clutch solonoid, it uses electrics to stop FWD operation. At the fuse/relay panel, there is a relay which is longer than all the others, this is called interlock - they give trouble & you need to swap it with a good one to see if it is OK.(my bets are here) With ign on, get someone to move the FNR lever back & forth & see if the solonoids which are piggy backed together on top of the transmission are clicking - if you put your hand on them you will feel them working. If they are clicking, electrics are OK. Problem is in the control valve. If they are not clicking,...... well.........Let us know how you go. PS here's another thread with similar problem - HeavyEquipmentForums
alrman, I've got a 570LXT with exactly the same problem as this one. From memory I don't think it has ever done it in reverse, It'll do it both when loaded or more or less at an idle. Similar to the machine above , lt'll go back back into gear by moving the shuttle lever or by pressing the neutraliser button on either the lift lever or the trans. shifter. This makes me think the problem may lie in something electrical, common to all three. What do you think? Cheers, Greg P.S. Just had a look at your website, very informative, do you sell parts as well?
Hey Greg, diagnosing these is always a challenge & doing it online ....... well...... Assuming you have a shuttleshift not powershift - When fwd is working, does the drive / pushing power feel normal? or as it should? The timer / delay relay could be doing this, it is the taller one of all the relays. I carry a spare to check the operation of these, (easy to put one in & see if problem goes away) - make sure all relays are pushed in tight, espeacially this one, as they can work loose with machine vibration. Next time it looses drive - try just wriggling the FNR a little, while still in fwd, don't take it back to neutral. The FNR lever is a switch & they can play up a little also. Re the website, I figure I am helping people out alot here. There are alot of people asking questions on the net, so I may as well put some helpful advice there & see if good karma comes back to me ........ still waiting I don't sell parts as a retail thing, but supply whatever is needed to make repairs happen. Try to help where I can & make customers come back again.
alrman. Tried this today with no result, so let it idle with the park brake on while tapping the relays with the butt of a screwdriver. When I got to the clutch relay it popped back in gear. It worked fine for an hour or so, then started dropping out again. I think I'll replace this one along with the interlock timing delay relay and go from there. Thanks for your help. Cheers, Greg
That's an interesting test proceedure, looks like you are on to it Greg
Ordered some new relays this morning, won't be here for a day or two. In the meantime I tried swapping the suspect relay with one that I know works. Made no difference at all, still dropping out of gear. While playing around with switches I found that pressing the horn button will put it back in gear. Horn works normally, except sometimes (1 out of 4 or 5 presses) it will throw it out of gear also. Obviously some sort of short, but where? Cheers, Greg
I would be checking fwd & rev coil resistance at the control valve at cold & operating temperature. Maybe try checking the voltage at fwd coil & have someone playing with the horn :beatsme There is also a common earthing point somewhere behind the dash, not sure if near fuse panel or near dash. Pretty sure you will see it if you remove the plastic shroud around the loader controls - it would pay to make sure it is tight & wires are making good earth. DO you have a service manual?
alr All the grounds from many circuits come to a ground point right underneath the loader joystick, it is a threaded boss that sticks forward with many brown wires on it. I had one insulate and it gave many confusing symptoms but finally when I found voltage on all the relay coil grounds and traced it back on the schematic it was obvious. The company painted the hardware then installed the wires and bolt over a good hard coat of paint. A good scraping paint job and clean bright metal and some dilectric grease for good measure got it going. Mel
alrman, As per your first reply, I replaced the interlock timing relay and it has solved the problem, worked it several hours this afternoon without issue. Many thanks for your advice. Cheers, Greg P.S. Keep me in mind if you see a wreck with a decent 4in1 bucket.
That's good news Greg, just keep your fingers & legs crossed :drinkup
Thank god for this thread, i am having the same type of problem 99 570LXT 2WD. if i go from neutral to either forward or reverse, it wont shift..or it takes 5 to 10 seconds to kick in. i do not have a manual (no $).Seller warned me the disengage button was acting funny on the gear selector. I removed the button and isolated the wires and problem went away. But now its back again. If i messed up removing the button please let me know...i wasn't trying to hack it, i usually let it run in 2nd gear all the time since its for corral cleaning. i am going to look at grounding wires under joystick, and relays. thanks again for this forum...it kicks butt!
Hammertime, the problem I had with my 570 ended up being the round metal strainer screen on the right side of the tranny. It was stopped slap up. I drained all the fluid [it was kind of milky looking anyway] cleaned the screen and filled her up with fresh fluid and wouldnt ya know it the tranny started working perfectly! I dont know if this will help you but it might be worth looking into.
Codmech thank you for the words of wisdom. I cleaned up loader joystick buttons and it started engaging again. Being it's an ex rental machine I will be draining and cleaning the strainer screen as you described next to keep it working properly in the future. boatload of information on here and its really helping me understand how much i need to learn about these great tractors. Thank you sir
Hammertime, glad to help. I'm still learning myself. The 570 I work on belongs to a friend and is also ex-rental [rode hard-put up wet]. With out manuals this site is better than the next best thing, a whole lot of experience and "been there, done that" going on here. I'm glad to have run into this site, its good insurance to have when working on a variety of equipment. Good luck with your machine, Codmech
I have a 2001 case 570 mxt it has a problem when it is below 60degrees not going in forward or backward for about five minutes after I first start it is fine the rest of the day
With mine in scottsdale i dont have those low temps. so i have no reference. What i have done so far is to change all the fluid in the tranny with case hy-tran... replaced both filters, and i still have the same issue of not moving. my next step is to examine the shuttle. just purchased a repair manual off ebay. maybe a couple of prayers and i will get it turned around...
Did you pull and clean the screen on right hand side, I believe just above drain plug? That was the problem with mine, it was stopped up and not getting enough flow to operate.
Hammertime, did you check the screen on right hand side of transmission? It should be just above drain plug. On the unit I worked on it would try to move, but would'nt in forward or reverse, someone suggested checking the screen and sure enough it was stopped up. A quick cleaning and fluid and filter change and I was back in business. Also there is a double stack relay in fuse panel that controls forward/reverse, check it if your screen is okay.
Fella's, I have a 98 580L with similar issues. It works perfect in forward, but occasionally it will take about 5 seconds or so to engage in reverse. I have changed the trans oil and filter, but was not aware of the screen. I will check that also. My guess is that my trouble is electrical, as it is so intermittent and only in reverse. I will check the relays tomorrow, and will replace the longer one regardless to rule that out. Any other suggestions while I am at it? CODMECH, Dublin GA? I spend a week or so per year about 15-20 miles north of Dublin on Hwy 441 hunting hogs. Beautiful area you have there, and much warmer than here! (Great hunting too!)
Talking about hogs.. came across this little outfit the other day.
So i have been still having my 99 570lxt 2wd problems with popping out of drive/reverse. sometimes it wont even engage. (Changed all filters and oil with OG parts) I am guessing i need to take a peek at those clips in the control unit on top of tranny. I purchased the case repair manual and i was a bit surprised how vague it was. do i need to remove the unit from the top of tranny or can i work on it attached to transmission?. manual states undo bolts...am i going to get sprayed with fluid under pressure if the machine is off?