Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580 59$/h

alexis.marcil ยท 2011-05-21 19:50

Hi, there is a guy that offer is new 580 to rent with operator for 59$ an hour... can someone explain me how he makes money? there are a few guys around here that do work for less than 75$ an hour, I just don't get it, maybe I'm missing something but for an almost new machine that is worth so much... it just doesn't make sense! the full size exavator are between 125$ and 150% per hour around here, and most machine cost the same (used) than a new tlb! Alexis

Replies7
  1. #1Deon2011-05-21 22:37

    I own a 1992 JD 310D I use for a toy. The local excavating companies will do work with a much newer tlb for $60.00 per hr. I don't think they actually make a profit from that machine. It must be from the gravel they haul to the job. It takes $10.00 per hr. for fuel. $30.00 per hr. for the operator. $30.00 per hr. for the machine with insurance, financing and wear and tear. So that's $70.00 per hr. with no profit. Alexis, I'm also confused.

  2. #2Leon Phelps2011-05-22 07:19

    times are tough. work for cheap (operator may be for free) or lose the home. economics 101.

  3. #3cgraham12011-05-24 05:47

    Around here there are guys with brand new hoes, bought outright with profit from previous years. Times are slow now, but a few years ago there was a lot of money to be made. I doubt that guy has a payment to make on his machine... if it is paid for he can afford to work for less money. At that rate he probably won't make enough money to justify what he paid for it, but it will help to pay the bills until the economy picks up!

  4. #4jfb582011-05-25 20:31

    Maybe the owner is the operator. And Leon is right times are tough. And some income is better than no income.

  5. #5Speedfill2011-05-27 08:19

    That's crazy!I was working on highways paving jobsite with an Owner/Operator of a Cat 420IT and he was normally asking $75/Hrs,but raises to almost $100/hrs if he was using his hydraulic hammer....This guy was changing his TLB every 2 years cause Caterpillar was giving him a great price as value for his 420 and he was buying a new one at the price of the difference only....But around 2008, things changed and the value of used machinery decreased and he still have his 2007 420IT today, and he's just keeping $18/hrs as pay for himself...I think that it worst on residential jobsite where everyone's trying to cuts in the prices to have a bit of job...Often, the guy's paying to go work.....That's scandalous!

  6. #6Leon Phelps2011-05-27 12:09

    Backhoe operators get more money because technically you have two implements available. Same for your case.

  7. #7Brandt2011-05-31 22:12

    I run old machines and just do a little work on the weekends. I charge $50/ hour for anything with wheels and $75/hr for anything with tracks. On my dump truck I get $50/hr plus 20% markup on the aggregate. I don't do this for a living and I don't get rich doing it. If I charged what it is worth I wouldn't get any work. With no work, the wife would get mad at the "yellow" junkyard!