Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

QUICK GUYS!! 99 john deere 310e 4×4 ext hoe vs 98 580 super l 4×4 ext hoe

paintman ยท 2011-05-21 06:44

hey guys (newbie here) as the title says, which is better? both are priced the same the jd has 3000hrs and 580 has 3700hrs ive never owned a backhoe before so i need real input on both models..... and its goota happen this weekend please help and thanks

Replies22
  1. #1Bill Smith2011-05-21 07:31

    Case Or John Deere I have run both and like both But Case is my bet Seems hours are a little low for the age mmmmmmmmmm

  2. #2paintman2011-05-21 07:36

    yeah i know.....can the clocks be played with? not sure about the case hrs(if accurate) but the deere is being sold privately and seems legit

  3. #3CM19952011-05-21 09:47

    Yep, rather easily. It's a common problem in the used market. What are the prices?

  4. #4paintman2011-05-21 10:32

    Price is 25k

  5. #5cutting edge2011-05-21 12:19

    I'd go for the Deere.....

  6. #6ScottAR2011-05-21 14:18

    Both will serve you well provided they have no issues. Run em both and see which you like to run better. I'd go for the Case as I have better dealer support for it here. Your area the opposite may be true.

  7. #7JS580SL2011-05-21 18:53

    The company we sub out to have a ton of 310E's great machines. Most of them have hoe rams on em now. Personally I'd go right for the Super L. 310E's are bottom line. Slow front bucket, light, slow over the road compared to a SL. Im not a fan of the 310E's as far as running them. The super L will give you more horsepower, faster hydralics, over all one size bigger. If its a 310SE that would be different. Super L's are great hoes best case made.

  8. #8ctkiteboarding2011-05-21 20:39

    dealer support??? go for the case

  9. #9JS580SL2011-05-22 01:03

    Dealer support round here for both is pretty decent. Deere is a little bit of a ride but good about gettin parts and service. Case is good for the most part..... depending on who you deal with.

  10. #10handtpipeline2011-05-22 03:08

    I had a '95 580 SL and a '98 310 SE both at the same time. The 580 would out dig and out lift the 310, 310 would out push the 580 on the loader end, just because the 410 was 4x4 and the 580 wasn't. The 310 had a 4in1 loader bucket which was kinda nice, and it was an extendahoe also which my 580 wasn't. I didn't really care for the curved boom on the 310 myself, I grew up on excavators which have the curved booms, but it just didn't "feel" right on a backhoe to me. I'm not really a big Deere fan myself (mainly due to the local dealer) but having said that, if I couldn't go with a Case, I would probably go with a Deere. I've been on a couple of Cat machines, and wasn't really impressed. I've been on a couple of JCB's, (1990 vintage) and didn't care for them. Terex and Komatsu both seem bulky and awkward. Terex I've been on had a lot of power, but was really slow.

  11. #11paintman2011-05-22 07:58

    dealer support is great only a 10 min car ride away. i see what you mean about the hydraulics being a lil smoother and faster on the case and. a the case also seems a bit more maneuverable that jd seems alot longer then the case . really appreciate the feedback guys thanks

  12. #12JBGASH2011-05-22 09:58

    Go with the Deere. We have excellent luck with ours.

  13. #13ctkiteboarding2011-05-22 10:18

    as alway everyone will have a suggestion , that being said i got my 580sl with 900 hrs and have owned it for a long time it has been the best piece of equipment that i have owned , flawless with no major issues , the hours on yours might seem low but overall condition should line up with the hours, mine is just at 2100hrs and its a 95, case did something right with the 580sl series, pretty much as JS580sl said it is there best TLB , strong and well balanced

  14. #14tuney4432011-05-22 19:56

    Definitely get the Deere.Nothing but Deere for me the last 27 years.

  15. #15cgraham12011-05-24 05:40

    ??? So, the Deere is better because that's all you've ever run? I like my 590 SL, but I'm sure they're both good machines. I'd test them both out and see which one you like better!

  16. #16JBGASH2011-05-24 07:03

    No, actually have had 2- of the Case hoes and they were OK and we wore them out. Then I purchased the the Deere and found it far better than the Case machines.

  17. #17Jack Lemke2011-08-11 11:12

    Buy the Deere

  18. #18Jack Lemke2011-08-11 11:15

    I had a Case 580C. It was an ok machine but the brakes locked up once in awhile.

  19. #19Jack Lemke2011-08-11 11:20

    I would bet the Deere will have a better resale value.

  20. #20digfaster2011-08-25 15:23

    ive ran em all, no comparison to the deere. buy it

  21. #21Tinkerer2011-08-25 17:11

    Amazing !! This thread was started May 21 st and the paintman said the deal had to happen the weekend following the 21st. We haven't heard back from him since the 22nd. Now on August 25th we still don't know what happened. But the thread is still active.

  22. #22dwloop2011-08-25 17:23

    Truly amazing... How emotional we can become about a machine and its brand is what I take from these threads. "I would buy the Ford, because the Chebby just ain't any good!!" That being said, I understand that some individuals have better luck with certain brands, as I am one of those too (I like Fords for instance ). I really believe that it is more familiarity the products than actual features that lead us to these loyalties though... JM2C.. I just put my fire suit one... Dave