I have a friend who owns a case 580ck b. The machine is in pretty fair condition I think. It does have some problems but for it's age It's not bad. It has the diesel and it runs and starts great. The loader and hoe hydraulics are strong enough to lift the entire machine. It could use 3 pins and bushings on the hoe but that's it. There are two rams that leak. About 6 weeks ago he lost reverse and asked me to take a look at it. I have never worked on a 580 b before. First things first we aren't doing anything to this machine until I can study the service manual. We got one and it has a power shuttle with rockwell clutches. The shuttle oil was full of steel particles. So we changed the oil and filter. This seemed to help, but the pressure on the reverse side is still low and the machine still didn't want to back up. I never liked the way the shuttle shifter felt. I guess I was expecting it to be a little more distinct F N R. We disconnected the shifting linkage and manually moved the control valve with the machines trans in neutral. To me it still wasn't right so we took the control valve off. When I disassembled the control valve I was hoping to find it plugged but it wasn't. What I did find still baffles me. The control spool has no neutral detent machined into it. Which explains why I could never find neutral. I am a tool and die maker by trade and over the years I have learned when the part in your hand doesn't match the drawing in front of you it is almost always big trouble. Every picture in the service manual of this control spool clearly shows a neutral detent. It even goes to great lengths to describe neutral in the hydraulic schematics for the shuttle. Time to go see the case dealer. Excellent people. They sat down with us and discussed the machine with us at length. The service manager seems to think this is from an early B. I have a problem with that. Case went through great lengths to describe the manual shuttle,the power shuttle with twinn disc and rockwell clutches, and the hydrostatic drive. Why would they completely omit an early version of the power shuttle? In every drawing of this control valve spool there are three detents. There is no mention of a shuttle without neutral. It is the only part of the control valve that differs from all the drawing in the manual. So how did it get there? Well according to the case dealer we can't buy a new valve which leaves salvage. Some one could have manufactured it. Which is something I can do but, I would have to program the CMM to measure the valve body first then reverse engineer the spool in order to make this a one time experience. We're talking a whole lot of time here. Does anybody know of a two position control valve on a 580b? Does any body have any other Ideas or suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure if this will help you, but see this thread Specifically around page 16 post 232 from alrman
fpgm04 your beautiful have yourself a bottle of booze! Now that's what I'm talking about. Since I uncovered this mystery I had my friend order a operators manual and a parts manual. We haven't gotten them yet. No neutral wow that's hard to believe and seems to be on the dangerous side. I'm going to make another spool and but neutral on it. problem solved. Thank you and everyone else for your help.
I know I'm still not out of the woods yet. The machine still may not back up but, at least I can do all the pressure checks. And It helps zero in a serial number as the data plate is gone. I sure hope the reverse clutch pack isn't fried. Why would it be it seems like the forward pack gets the majority of the punishment with the loader?
Someone in the past may have replaced the reverse pack and determined the front was OK. Not the way to repair it correctly but you never know what someone else's reasoning is.
I heard that. Since Chummer bought the machine a little over a year ago reverse has been well, questionable. It worked but once it warmed up it wouldn't move. Backwards anyway. Forward has always been good.
There is a lot of very good information on this sight. I made the right choice in HEF I believe. I have been reading over the many posts that pertain to my situation and came to the realization that Chummer and I need to zero in on a serial number for this machine. It can only help as case made changes and just for gaskets alone it will Be worth it. This machine does not have the neutral lock on the shuttle shifter but has a 2 detent control spool. This weekend I turned out another spool with a neutral detent and we did order the case manuals. We don't have the right gaskets yet. We are Kind of in a holding pattern until the manuals come in. This weekend we will most likely take the regulators apart and clean every screen that is shown. Maybe we'll have the gaskets, manuals, and filters by then.