Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jd 310b hydraulic problem

gunracer1 ยท 2014-08-26 12:42

i lent my backhoe out to my brother. and now the front end loader and the hoe wont work. the steering seems fine, where should i start? it runs and drives fine. i have a parts manual but not a service manual.

Replies13
  1. #1Delmer2014-08-26 15:53

    1) check hydraulic fluid level. 2) check pressure control valve, pull the plug and don't LOSE any of the springs and seals, or get them mixed up. TYPICALLY on Deeres, this valve shuts off the loader function to preserve steering and brakes, backhoe is not affected (on other models, can't say on this one) http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt Do you have any hydraulic function on the loader or backhoe, will the buckets curl or try to curl?

  2. #2gunracer12014-08-26 16:06

    the front end loader and the back hoe will work real slow and jerky with no real power.

  3. #3Delmer2014-08-26 16:43

    Back to check fluid level and either check the control valve, or get hydraulic pressure gauges and check the pump supply and standby pressure, there should be ports on the top of the pump for testing both of these. One will be around 200 PSI, and the high pressure will be around 2,000 PSI. Wouldn't hurt to find the suction screen and check/clean that before getting into the pressure control valve or pump pressure. Depends on what is easiest for you.

  4. #4outbackrider2014-08-27 08:19

    When you say jerky, that generally means the front hydraulic pump is starving for oil. Is it making any whining noise that is unusual? Definitely change the transmission vertical filter and check the hydraulic sump screen. There is a gear pump in the transmission that feeds hyd oil to the front pump, if the screen or filter is clogged, the flow could be reduced. The transmission gear pump should pump at 150psi and 12 gallons a minute to feed the front pump. Do you have a service manual?

  5. #5gunracer12014-08-27 08:21

    fluid level is full, i checked that first. i guess i need to break down and find a service manual

  6. #6Thomas Peine2020-09-26 08:57

    Gunracer. I know this is an old thread but did you ever resolve this problem? If so what did you figure out? Also does anyone know of the life expectancy of the gear pump in the transmission. Wondering if I should have one on hand.

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-09-26 10:06

    Gunracer hasn't been on the site in three years. Thomas, are you having the same problem as him ? Any pump's life is controlled by the number of hours on it, the care taken of it or a failure of a component in the system it is in.

  8. #8Thomas Peine2020-09-26 11:04

    Thanks Tinkerer. I knew it was a shot in the dark. Site still showed him as an active member so figured I'd bump the thread. Also figure on the pump life response. I should have asked the question differently. What I was really asking was, is the gear driven hydraulic pump in the transmission something that will fail regardless of care (designed obsolescence, poor part, etc) My 310B has nearly 4000 hours on it. PO Clamed it had a factory refurbishment at 3000. It runs great with great hydraulics. My complaints are... 1. When driving the machine the stearing seems to intermittently snap maybe 5 disagrees in one direction or the other. Can't feel it in the steering wheel, but can see and feel the movement in the machine. It's a jerky sharp movement. 2. It shifts great but I need to use an odd sequence to avoid grinding gears. I either need to shift on the fly double clutching or when starting from a stop I need to select my gear first then select the high or low range. Any other way and it grinds hard. 3. Finally when using any gear but first it seems movement starts off slow then engage almost like 2 speeds on an automatic transmission or like the clutch is slipping. However once engaged completely it doesn't slip at all. In fact, it will power out and die before it slips. Thanks for any advice you can give me. P.S. reading from my phone, sorry about any grammatical errors.

  9. #9Thomas Peine2020-10-17 10:24

    Just wanted to give this a bump in Hope's someone has some advice for me. Thanks

  10. #10Delmer2020-10-17 15:17

    None of that sounds all that bad to me, but I don't even know what kind of drivetrain you have. Dry clutch, torque converter, reverser, powershift? if you don't know, then how many gears do you have forward and back and what do the controls look like and where are they? MG is the guy that knows most of this stuff off the top of his head, I can do a little better if I know what you have. Did you recently purchase this? and have you changed the hydraulic filter and any screens? I doubt the transmission pump has anything to do with any of these issues. It's easy to blame the transmission pump for low pressure, usually it's something else leaking the flow away, and the pump would perform well within spec with normal leakage.

  11. #11stinky642020-10-17 17:35

    The whining noise comment from the 2014 post is good indicator, if present your system is starving for juice.....filter/stripper screen issue I'm thinking

  12. #12mg23612020-10-18 05:42

    Check the steering arms mounted on top of your spindles on the front axle for wear. Sounds like a clutch adjustment is needed. You will have to acquire the tech manual TM1158 if you don't already have it. The first thing after making sure your oil level is correct, the correct oil is being used and the the filters/screen are new/clean would be to go through the entire clutch adjustment procedure.

  13. #13Thomas Peine2020-11-08 13:42

    Ok great, thanks guys. I'll update after I adjust the clutch and check linkage.