Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 580 BCK No Forward, only reverse

yfrankiii ยท 2013-03-09 19:44

Hi There, Thank you all for your help in advance. I am looking into buying an older Case 580 BCK, I have not seen a (BCK) before. It has an issue that it only moves in reverse, which would be fine if all i had to do was go backwards. However just in case I ever came across the need to go Forward...I was wondering what might cause this issue and what costs could accumulate in repairing it. I have split a few small Chinese Japanese tractors before for manual clutches but never on a beast like this...any guidance and or suggestions would be appreciated...as well as advice to avoid this purchase at all costs! Any idea what would be a fair price in this condition? Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Frank

Replies4
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-03-09 21:35

    Run away fast and don't look back, I love a 580 series backhoe from case but the 580/580B need to be left alone unless it has a mech shuttle. They are good machines when they work, but can and will cause sleepless nights. If you can find a 580C,D,E, you will be better off in the long run. The F/R have issues that can cost alot of time and money to fix and is not a easy fix even with the service and parts books most of the time.

  2. #2yfrankiii2013-03-10 00:40

    So how do I know if it is a manual shuttle...sorry newbie questions!

  3. #3sheepfoot2013-03-10 23:07

    yfrankiii, The power shuttle has a single stage torque converter, and a hydraulically actuated F/R clutches, and a four speed trans. This may be what you are looking at since there is no forward movement. There is a dip stick before the gear shifter in the floor. run the tractor for several min, shut the machine off and check the fluid level, there is also a dip stick to the rear of the gear shifter that is the trans/rear end oil. This machine has two brake pedals and a single clutch cutout/brake on your left foot. The mech shuttle has a 4 speed trans with a high/low range lever, a F/R lever on the dash like the power shuttle machine, left foot pedal is a clutch pedal only which unlike the power shuttle has to be disengaged to go from F/R. Mech shuttle machines are few and far found, people who have them don't sell them often. We are only talking about the 580/580B machines, the 580C/D/E/ and first K's used a differant power shuttle, the mech shuttle ended with the 580C's, no longer produced for the D/E/K and up. If it's a power shuttle the lh pedal will have a short link and a cam plate with a slot that you can see moving while pushing the pedal down, the mech shuttle will have a rod that goes down beside the trans case that connects to the clutch rod at the bellcrank.

  4. #4yfrankiii2013-03-10 23:33

    Sheep, If I can call you Sheep....thank you I will try to find out which it is and I might bug you for more info once I get to know more what I am looking at. Will try to go over there and look to see what it is, I appreciate the input. Sounds like you know your stuff. Sounded like a good deal but maybe not so good.... if it is not a power shuttle would you then think about it being worth messing with? Frank